Matched PNP/NPN dual transistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2003, 10:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Matched PNP/NPN dual transistors

Which are the options available for dual matched transistors?

The only ones I know are MAT02 and MAT03, but they seem to be a vanishing thing. Those are also low voltage.

Toshiba made (still does?) the 2SC3381 and 2SA1349, but they were DUAL transistors, not necessarily matched.

Harman Kardon used some dual pairs named uPA74V and uPA75V on their hk770 amp, but they are not to be found, or even their data.

Any suggestions?

Carlos
Old 24th March 2003, 11:59 PM   #2
Lenin is offline Lenin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb MAT02/03 substitute

Try LM194/LM394 (pin for pin MAT02/03 replacement)

if you really must have a higher voltage capable device, better brains than mine will appear shortly.

The LM394 has worked fine for me in the front end of MC circuits.

I hope this helps.
Old 25th March 2003, 02:01 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: MAT02/03 substitute

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenin
Try LM194/LM394 (pin for pin MAT02/03 replacement)

if you really must have a higher voltage capable device, better brains than mine will appear shortly.

The LM394 has worked fine for me in the front end of MC circuits.

Both 194 and 394 are NPN types. So they would replace MAT02 but not MAT03.

If my search was for low voltage types I would stay with the MATs. Unfortunately this application demands higher voltages.

Carlos
Old 25th March 2003, 03:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Arrow "Monolithic" dual type.

Hey Carlos,

The two Toshiba parts that you mention are monolithic in construction meaning that they were constructed on the same substrate and should be very, very closely matched. Every pair that I have used has been within 1% or less when comparing electrical characteristics. I have not put them on the curve tracer, but I guess that I could to see just how close they really are.

If you are working at voltages that are higher than 80 V this is not the transistor for you. It is also low power and primarily designed to be used as an audio input stage device. You can find the .pdf here if you do not have it already:

http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/pdf/2sc3381.pdf,
http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/pdf/2sa1349.pdf.

By the way, I believe that the National LM194/394 came before the Analog Devices MAT series. I have been considering using both for a couple of designs that I am working on but can't seem to find the time.

Later,
Old 25th March 2003, 04:43 AM   #5
mirlo is offline mirlo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2sc1583 ?

Does anyone have any experience with this one?

http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/pdf/2sc1583.pdf

It is a dual NPN; appears to be considerably less expensive than the Toshiba part ...
Old 25th March 2003, 08:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well, the biggest drawback is that the two emitters are tied together, so emitter degeneration is not possible. hfe linearity is not as good as in more modern devices.
Old 25th March 2003, 08:46 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

C1583 was made by Mitsubishi, is 50 V, 100 mA.

Corresponing dual PNP parts seem to be A793 (no data sheet found), A979 (only one page, 100 V, 50 mA, common emitter) and A995 (100V, 100 mA, common base).
Old 25th March 2003, 11:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Toshiba duals

Quote:
Originally posted by stadams

The two Toshiba parts that you mention are monolithic in construction meaning that they were constructed on the same substrate and should be very, very closely matched. Every pair that I have used has been within 1% or less when comparing electrical characteristics. I have not put them on the curve tracer, but I guess that I could to see just how close they really are.

If you are working at voltages that are higher than 80 V this is not the transistor for you. It is also low power and primarily designed to be used as an audio input stage device. You can find the .pdf here if you do not have it already:

http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/pdf/2sc3381.pdf,
http://www.milton.arachsys.com/nj71/pdf/2sa1349.pdf.

By the way, I believe that the National LM194/394 came before the Analog Devices MAT series. I have been considering using both for a couple of designs that I am working on but can't seem to find the time.

Thanks very much for the info on how the two internal transistors compare eletrically. That's what I wanted to know.

The next question would be to know how NPN and PNP duals compare between them.

BTW: Reichelt Elektronik in Germany stocks those duals and for less than 1 Euro each.

You're right about the 194/394 age: they came before. But some consider the MAT a bit better. The fact that there's a PNP option is also good.

Now if I could get info on the uPA74/uPA75 that would be great!...

Carlos
Old 25th March 2003, 11:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, but Reichelt won't tell you the hfe group + they will deliver second sources without notice which really don't fulfill the original spec.

These duals that I received half a year ago seemed to be Toshiba, but were from completely different gain groups (something like PNP highest and NPN lowest). Some of the Toshiba single transistors they sell are actually CDIL.
Old 25th March 2003, 11:37 AM   #10
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

I have an unknown number of dual NPN with rather high hfe, not as good as MAT02 but quite OK, in metal can. These are for sale for a small cost. I will dig in my drawers for type numbers and data.

Hide this!Advertise here!