NAD and their PowerDrive technology

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any big secret to what the PowerDrive technology is that NAD uses in their amplifiers? They claim that it is not class G, but a different topology to make their amplifiers seem like they have more power than they really do. How is this done?

According to their marketing papers/brochures, they state that the output stage normally uses the high voltage rails, and switches to the high current (lower voltage) rails when needed. This is kind of a "backwards" approach from the conventional rail switching amplifier (class G). NAD states that the PowerDrive technology is an improvement over their first technology called "Power Envelope". :xeye:

Any ideas as to how this is done? After searching the web, I haven't found an in depth discussion as to what this is, beyond NAD's own marketing websites and vendors.

Secret of NAD is their Pre amps.
I have cloned Nad 10 20b and now using as a preamp to feed my solid state amp aprox. 500 watts @ 4 ohn per channel.
This pre amp has also a HIgh level output for feeding a high power amp or more amps together, it is really powerful pre amp!!!
Specially you can hear and see that how the bass speakers pumping!

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sounds a bit like the old R.M.S. versus music power argument. Only guessing but you could do it this way.
The amp would see 100 volts for transients appearing from a " low average" signal. Anything of longer duration and the 100 volt rail collapses and your left with the 50 volt high current one.
Just made the values up.

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    psu.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 272
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.