need help writing an amp class

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i work for the service center of a large retail chain. i am one of the senior techs in their Denver audio repair facility. i am looking for some help to gather info for a class on amp theory i am writing for them. i'm putting together a list of the part numbers of common complementary pairs of output devices. if anybody could help me put this list together, please respond. so far i have:

bipolars:
2SA1943/C5200
MJL3281/1302
MJ15024/15025 (these are now the de-facto field replacement for 15022/23's which were popular in the 70's and 80's)

FETS:
IRF240/9240

this so far is off the top of my head as i write this, and i'll be looking up more when i go to work. Denon, Yamaha and Harmon Kardon like to use darlington devices in their mid-fi receivers, and i'll be looking those up on monday (it saves the cost of extra heat sinks for driver transistors). although the techs i'm teaching could in most cases look at the output devices in other channels (in a 5.1 receiver for instance)to find out what devices belong in place of a pair of the smoking remains of an output pair, we also work on a lot of powered subs, containing only one amp. what made me think of this is when another tech brought me a powered sub with a blown channel, and asked me " the one i can read is a 2SC5200, how do i find out what the other one is?" i surprised him by answering "the other one is a 2SA1943". i'd like to be able to provide a list they could refer to if they find themselves in a "WHATZIT situation. it doesn't have to be an exhaustive list. we have service manuals for most of what we service, but we also take in a lot of COD walk-in repairs, because other retail chains have shut down their in-house repair operations.

there has to be several such lists
of complementary pairs

usually we that design/build amplifiers often have them in our head
I do not recall nay such list

But so called equvalents/Cross Reference lists,
can have a column for complementary device.
Most any big manufacturer of transistors have such data lists.
Like for example Fairchild, IRF, Hitachi, Toshiba, Philips.

A good start for your search for such lists
is of course the usual place:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/

For example:
Search for: 2SK216 in Equivalents/Cross Reference
Result:
Contextual Search Suggestions:
2SK216 "cross reference"
2SK216 "pin compatible"
2SK216 "cross-reference"
2SK216 "direct replacement"
2SK216 "drop-in replacement"
2SK216 "pin-compatible"
2SK216 substitution
2SK216 equivalent

... IRF240/9240...

Those are very far from being a complementary pair. They are switching MOSFETs and manufacturer never saw a need to make a complement for any of those.
Many guys researched this matter in depth (I remember Ilimzin for one) and far better complement to IRFP240 is IRFP9140. Reading the datasheets alone shows this.
Use the search button, you'll find here many useful infos on this subject.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.