Signal path Resistor Quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rtate said:
For sure I am going to use "metal film"

What's so sure about it? I like Shinkoh tantalums or Riken carbon films as much as Caddocks. A Vishay or Caddock is certainly a safe choice but neither can be pronounced best in all situations. It's your ears and system - if sound is important to you be prepared to make the effort and compare yourself.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm quite sure that between metal films, the effect on sound is negligible is at all.

Of course, cheap carbon composition resistors are more noisy.

analog_sa, since you seem to have a lot of comments about componenets, you must have one hell of a system. Can you share the detials with us?

Moving Target

I have lately started using Dale RN55E for most applications. I have a lot of surplus bulk metal foil resistors from Texas Components, but think the Dales are just as good.
I picked up some ultra low TCM Dale PTF-56 resistors. Used them as a buffer, between a chip and series output coupling cap. I am not totally sold, need to swap them out for some RN55E of the same svalue to see. But I suspect the difference in the resistors is swamped by the non-linearities of the 10 ufd electrolytic coupling caps. The chip is single rail, there are several volts polarizing the cap.
I really think that resistors are not a big deal. Built a LOT of quiet circuits with AB carbon comp. Also built a lot with Vishay S102. I think that better quality resistors are wasted in most applications. But use a magnet to check for steel leads or end caps. Avoid those.

George

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
John,

can you tell us precisely how the sound is affected, since in the overall amplifier cct we are unable to measure any differences (note I am talking about audio ccts - not RF).

I am not proposing using cheap resistors, but please help me understand how two good quality metal films can make a clear audible difference where that difference cannot be measured.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.