Cambridge Audio A3i Integrated Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love the sound of this amp but unfortunately it has developed two large problems. First, the left channel has become distorted and is also emitting a whistling sound. Secondly, I am now getting no output from the phono stage on either channel. I am hoping these are repairs I can make myself or at least get the proper replacement parts. Thanks, David

re:Cambridge Audio A3i

I am new to this forum and am in the eastern United States. I read about problems with the mute switch bit pushing the switch in and out has no effect on the aforementioned problem. I would like to know also if the 30 watt version the Mk3se has similar sound characteristics as the A3i as their is an inexpensive UK one in New York on sale. I also have never used a UK plug to US 100volt power converter. If I buy this other one is that conversion safe and if so, will the amp run cool enough. I would rather fix the one I have but I want to make sure it would be worth the time and expense. Advice on both amps appreciated. And btw phono stage is very important to me. TIA for your help/

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
Never heard the Cambridge amps so can't comment there. As for 110 to 230volt conversion. You mean a step up transformer ? Providing it's suitable rated I can't see any real problem providing the amp is fed with it's rated voltage -/+ 10% . Do the transformers in the amps themselves not have the option of selecting different taps to accomodate different voltages. That's a much better option, or even replacing the transformer.
As for fixing the amp -- if it has a genuine fault you may struggle by the sound of it-- you need to post a circuit here.

audio44 said:
I love the sound of this amp but unfortunately it has developed two large problems. First, the left channel has become distorted and is also emitting a whistling sound. Secondly, I am now getting no output from the phono stage on either channel. I am hoping these are repairs I can make myself or at least get the proper replacement parts. Thanks, David

Hi David,

I've sent an email to you - please reply and I'll provide you with a schematic diagram. There is also another thread I've started about A3i:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122378&highlight=

Cheers

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.