GAS Thoebe Preamp Needing Repair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2008, 10:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to civildan Send a message via Yahoo to civildan
Default GAS Thoebe Preamp Needing Repair

I have a GAS Thoebe preamp that works but needs repair to eliminate random noise and cutting out. A local repair shop was not able to fix it so I'm looking elsewhere. Does anyone know of someone in the USA (I'm in New Mexico) who would be interested and able to repair it?

I also have a Thaedra with similar and other problems that the same repair shop is now looking at but not having much luck.

They both are normally hooked up to Son of Ampzilla amps that work perfectly. I am currently using Dynaco PAT-4 preamps in the meantime and have no problems. I'd just like to have the GAS preamps back up to snuff.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 14th August 2008, 09:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
If it can help you, the Schematic is here:
http://www.audio-circuit.dk/Schematics/GAS_Thoebe.pdf
Old 14th August 2008, 10:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

The local repair shop told me they had or would be able to find schematics. Since they never could figure out what the problem is it makes me wonder. If I don't find somewhere else to send it for repair I will take this schematic back to them to see if it will help though I'm not sure I really want to go back to them.

I appreciate the help.

Dan
Old 14th August 2008, 11:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: GAS Thoebe Preamp Needing Repair

Quote:
Originally posted by civildan
I have a GAS Thoebe preamp that works but needs repair to eliminate random noise and cutting out. A local repair shop was not able to fix it so I'm looking elsewhere. Does anyone know of someone in the USA (I'm in New Mexico) who would be interested and able to repair it?

I also have a Thaedra with similar and other problems that the same repair shop is now looking at but not having much luck.

They both are normally hooked up to Son of Ampzilla amps that work perfectly. I am currently using Dynaco PAT-4 preamps in the meantime and have no problems. I'd just like to have the GAS preamps back up to snuff.

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan,

I can take a look at them, and I'm sure fix them, if you run out of options. I had a business that specialized in the GAS products for many years, until life dictated otherwise. I would not mind helping to get it working again. I'm in Virginia. Send me an e-mail and we can discuss it.

Mike.
Old 16th August 2008, 03:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mike,

Since I am still under moderation I am not able to send you an email. However, I am interested. Please let me know how I can get in touch with you.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 16th August 2008, 03:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Back in the 80's Mike did some updates to my Son of Ampzilla. He does good work. I wish I still had that amp....

Bill
Old 16th August 2008, 02:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by civildan
Mike,

Since I am still under moderation I am not able to send you an email. However, I am interested. Please let me know how I can get in touch with you.

Thanks,
Dan
Hi Dan,

You can e-mail me at MikeBettinger @ comcast. net.

Thanks, for the kind words Bill. Seems like quite a long time. I've raised my kids and had an almost 20 year alternate career in the mean time.

Mike.
Old 16th August 2008, 10:56 PM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I've had the outputs fail, the MPSU06/56.

The MPSW06/56 are a good replacement. Replace all four in both channels.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:46 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeBettinger

Hi Dan,

You can e-mail me at MikeBettinger @ comcast. net.

Thanks, for the kind words Bill. Seems like quite a long time. I've raised my kids and had an almost 20 year alternate career in the mean time.

Mike.
The Thoebe is back and sounding better than ever.

A huge thanks to Mike for the terrific job he did getting the Thoebe back into working order. I could not be more pleased with the results. Mike, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Dan
Old 12th March 2009, 03:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to snowdog51 Send a message via MSN to snowdog51 Send a message via Yahoo to snowdog51
Default thoebe

mike
i was audio tech in the 70's but not enough money to get by when i had kids about 80 's cars were getting harder to fix there was some good pay to fix the fuel injection so i started doing that
now i'm old and getting back in to audio this is a great site

bill

Hide this!Advertise here!