What type of Relay for a power amp? Electro-mechanical?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have purchased a power amp (Carver TFM-55) and it has been modified to some extent.

It has a faint hiss coming through the tweeters when gain is set at max with no source signal.

Now there are 2 relays that have been added at some point in it's 15 year history.

HASCO
HAT902CSDC24
NC-30A
120VAC/1HP
277VAC/2HP
NO-30A
120VAC/1HP
277VAC/2HP

I see they are electro-mechanical relays. I read that these can be slow but they are suitable for high loads. (I'm not too knowledgeable about these).
photo attached.

Could these be the source of the hissing? Also are these the right kind of relays for this kind of equipment? Do I need to change them?

Look forward to your advice.

Cheers

Attachments

• inside small amp.jpg
    inside small amp.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 178
Hi Brit,
when you disconnected the source did you insert a zero ohm (shorting) RCA plug into the amplifier input?

If not, then the hiss is probably due to the noise being generated by the high value of grounding resistor fitted to the input. This resistor sets Zin and is often in the range 20k to 100k. Rs should be less than 1k and preferably less than 100r. Shorting the input sets Rs=0r0 and shows best noise performance of the amplifier.
If the shorted input condition still hisses, it could be a high noise design or could be due to deterioration in components due to age and/or abuse.

insert a zero ohm (shorting) RCA plug into the amplifier input

I did not do this. Is this an RCA plug which fits just onto the positive input or bridges the 2? I've never seen one of these before. Might be difficult to find here. What does it look like?

make a search for solid state relay if you want

Would a SS relay have any advantages over the current mechanical one?

ALSO: the hissing is amplified when I connect the pre amp CT-3. I had all the contacts cleaned and interconnect cable changed. The new cable did reduce the hissing somewhat.

Cheers

build your own test RCA plug.
Short the input to ground with a very short copper link wire.

You can also make up non zero ohm input test plugs to mimic other source impedances. Buy some 1% metal film >=250mW resistors and solder them in.
100r, 1k0, 10k0 for starters.

please remove

my answer that involves solid state relays to audio .....it was just a teaser .....a joke to a rookie .....

there is no chance you use solid state relays in audio ....it always will be electromechanical ....and except these types of relays there is no other available

also i dont see that relays will produce and hiss, you have to look somewere else

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.