Patent input selector by Z audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!
Finally I finished my inventation of a relay input selector.
There is no any "Pic controller" or logic circuits, but provide the same features as before mentioned.It cost 5 times less than a Pic controlled relay switch, but this is a free of digital data noise!!!.
It works very stable also very resistant to high power RF splatters and cell phones the same in switching and also in Audible noises.
This works like a Swiss watch so I am gonna Patent my schematic which I designed 1 month ago.
Best regards:
Zoran Mikeski
Kicevo-Macedonia.
here is some pics

thumb:

Neat, but I have to comment on the patent idea. A patent is an almost sure fire guarantee that the circuit will never be used by any commercial manufacturer. They will either run the other way, or just steal it and you'll never know. Further, though expensive, it's easy to get a patent. It's much harder to get a valid patent that will stand up to a court fight. You need to research prior art using resources you probably don't have available- years of obscure magazine articles, including house mags, and several engineering groups ($$) publications like IEEE. If someone hasn't been "in the business" for 15 years or so, or is associated with a company or group that has, attempting to patent an invention, particularly circuits, usually turns out to be a huge waste of money.

All the concept is based on two big misconceptions and a deep lack of understanding about microcontroller operation. It has little practical application if any. This is the classic example of too much effort expent in the wrong direction.

1 - PICs (and similar chips from other brands) are fully static logic circuits. The clock may be stopped when the device is idle and it may be kept that way for as long as desired without data loss. They also include logic to resume operation on external events such as keypresses, IR remote activity, etc... And go back to sleep when processing is completed.

2 - If costs due to increased PCB size and manufacturing are considered, a discrete solution with many dozen parts can't in any way beat a single-chip all-in-one microcontroller.

Conrad!
Thanks for information about IEEE!
Now I am with conversation with friend of mine who invent the flattest multimedia speaker in the world.
So I am not hurry for anything, just I am happiest prides man in the world with my work, everything is done here in my room electronic, metal work and of course the schematic which is still not on paper!!!,just in my head.
Thank's for reply, I really appreciate.
Best regards from my second hobby HAM world.
My callsign Z37HWX
73'S

Otoh, merely having a patent in your "CV"/resume is a very good thing.

But you need to do a rather thorough patent search, especially if you are going for a Euro patent and/or a US patent, plus a very very thorough search and review of the "prior art" including commercial applications from other fields, like telephony and other control based fields!

_-_-bear

Thank you too friend for your suggestion!
Everything I know till now is that schematic came out of my brain and the most important is working like a swiss watch.
If something is less for this project is that this schematic can not remember the last switched input which was selected before turning off, but for me that is not problem to push a button when i am turning on this device.
Everything else is working fully logical ,so it is not possible to switch on 2 or more inputs at the same time.
I used Nais 5v signal relays but can be changed with anyone better.
Here is no any clock so there is no need to care about digital noises in audio.
I am a radioamateur also and I have here Yaesu ft 101e with tubes in the PA so I made a little RF test and tight together with the RIG and the both mains connected in the same mains connector(line voltage)
And this work stable like stone, than I put my cell phone inside in the open box of my input selector and called to transmit( the cell phone was touched with the pcb, and nothing of unstability saw, and nothing heard on my speakers, my amp was turn on, and volume control to the maximum( 2X 500 watts) @ 4 ohm.
By the way this is my probe pcb and it is very easy to make the pcb board I would say 3 times, Or to be the same as the place needed for the relays or the input RCA connectors.
Another way is to build this schematic in SMD technikc but that is no sense because We are limited by the place needed for RCA and relays...
IT is very easy to upgrade the inputs on my schematic, it uses only 3 active elements per each input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wonderful thing
Thank you it is my pleasure to talk about audio and only audio.

Dear MrBear Labs!
UI read your history and I found that you are also radioamateur like me.
Are you still active on the air, perhaps we can make a good QSO< I work telegraphy(one of the best and fastest operators from Z3, and also SSB.
I am QRV mostly on 14 MHZ which is my favorite with 100Watts and TH6dxx 6 element Yagi from High GAIN, called "Thunderbird"
And what is your callsign?
MY callsign is Z37HWX.
I hope we can chat more about Audio?
GL and 73 from Macedonia.

Dear friends!
Thanks to all!
I am not selfish about schematic which is now here in my head!
I made this PCB not from the paper but just I made placing to all components using Corel draw software and than with photo procedure!
Again this is just my first PCB to make a test how it is works. and did'nt care too much about the final dimension, I like old school and more spaces between components which is all placed horizontally.
It is possible to achieve very small PCB and of course no any wires like it is done on my first attempt, so all momentary switches and led diodes for indications of the switched input from the front aluminium panel is connected via wires so this may not looks pretty nice but works!.
So I will made in the future another PCB design and will use maybe a flat cable with connector for momentary switch buttons and also led indication.
Also will try to find this discrete components in SMD and dimension will be I guess no more that Input RCA connectors fixed about the standard spacing about 15 mm between each.
I would like to show how this works by a video clip.
So you can achieve inputs how you like, in my present case I made 5 inputs, So it is very easily to add more inputs, which will pull another three active components and relay.
Please be patient about this schematic and I will post it here, but first I would like to ensure if this is done before me, so now I am with conversation with some friend from Skopje who invent a new design of multimedia speaker with only +_db tolerance of frequency responce , because all other speaker even monitors when you placed on a PC desk will provide a very deep drop of about 7 db's and I think a peak somewhere in a middle range frequency due to the reflection from the PC desk.
Please be patient, and I am not from that selfish guy's, you'll see, I live for the Audio since my earliest days.

Hi

Z audio.... congratulations on your device BUT I don't get it:confused:

We have PC based controllable signal switchers for video and audio signals on our AVID units (video post production). These are noiseless & smaller, and on the PCB you have - could probably fit approx 200 channels. I cannot see a use for such a device you have..... am I missing the point? Is there anything wrong with the signal switcher I have in my Conrad Johnson Art MK2? This is acheived using a Z86 processor.

What part of the circuit are you going to patent?

Rob

What is there to patent? It's just using voltages to switch relays. It's been done dozens of times before in hobby electronic magazines such as Elektor.

You should realise that you can't patent basic things like this, however clever you may think it is. It's like trying to patent breathing because you do it slightly differently to everyone else.

Hey Robmil!
If you see any advantage of using a PC or PROGRAMS to your AUDIOPHILE set up, than just do it.
But who "Audiophile "likes software or programs to be involved in his audiophile set up, if you like that just use it!
I don't like digital to be involved in my set up.
So better you use pc software, e.t.c.
Or just make yourself a Pic programmed AUDIO INPUT SWITCH buy a
hardware and make a software, and that will cost you about 100 euros or more.
For me , all this cost 10 euros to switch 5 inputs and if you like to add more inputs will cost you plus 0,5 euros for each added input more.
If you see I made this just for input selector to build in any power amplifier or preamplifier or external box like I did now because I needed for my active system here.
Idea was to: made a good, stable, digital data free and and cheap audio input selector and nothing more,
And you know what:THIS WORKS GREAT.

By the way see Discovery channel and you will see: documentar film of history of the Robots and unnatural intelligent and some guy there talks about future of the robots:That this is a wrong way of thinking to use a programm or software on the robots, and he made a simply robots with discrette tehnic and what happend ?:
He made a short circuit to the discrette el. but the robot is still alive, he broak one leg the robot was still alive, and you can imagine what will hapen with the robot drived with a software and processor a: a very complex mass and even only one active element is damaged the WHOLE ROBOT IS DEAD.
Wait, the real future and revolution in electronic is just born.
Thank you all, and WILL NOT ANSEWER ANY MORE
JUST DO WHAT YOU LIKE AS I DO.
I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHER THINKS.

I think it's great that you had this idea and made it work. That's what DIY is all about. You should be happy about it.

This site is also about sharing those ideas, however, so posting about your idea without sharing it will tend to make you a target.

A few things with your assumptions...

Last I checked, a PIC microcontroller costs about $2US, so I don;t think the cost benefit is as great as you might think.

So, why not just use a simple rotary switch to select the relay. No "clock noise". It also remembers the last setting after power off and uses far fewer parts. Push button circuits are nice in that they can lend themselves well to adding remote control (rotary switches, not so much), but that means adding the dreaded microcontroller back in.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Zoran,

Brian is right. If you post your design for us to admire, you really have to tell us how it works. Otherwise we can only speculate or think that it is nothing new. You will see that sharing is very rewarding to you, much better than just keeping it to yourself and nobody knowing about it...

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.