which oscilloscope should buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
audioband is 20.000 Hertz
2 MHz is 100 x Audioband

If you have an Analog Dual Channel 2 MHz Scope,
you have a very useful tool for normal audio.
Will do 98% of what any fancy UHF oscilloscope will do for you.
Like somebody said, only 1-2 % of anything interesting will be in VHF / UHF band.

I got my old VERY heavy All Tube English Oscilloscope (London Made)
for free by a kind man here in town.
He had no use for it. Was only an object put in attic of his house.

I had a lot of hardship carry This HEAVY Scope to nearest busstop
and then get it from my busstop into my house.

But here I have it.
All tubes ( many EF86 for input amplifier ) working still.

If you want a good simple to use digital scope try a Tektronix TDS210. I use them all the time at work fault finding and testing military switch mode PSUs, they are so dependable with reliable triggering, small/light, 60MHz. I wouldn't use any other for fault finding as I've had to struggle with quite a few more expensive ones that take forever to do the basics and don't trigger as well.

A really good analog scope will cost a whole lot less than an adequate digital scope, and will tell you less lies, as you only have to worry about bandwidth rather than possible aliasing artifacts. Digital scopes are really nice when you need to document your work, but you can do the same with an analog scope, a digital camera, and an improvised hood.

I have an old Velleman PC scope that I built from their kit about 15 years ago and it still works great. I think you can buy a cheap PC scope, learn to operate it and see if a more expensive scope is required for your needs.
The nice feature with the PC scope is the "FFT" spectrum analyser function that they have as well.
By keeping the sampling rate of the scope at least twice as high as the measured frequency, you can pretty much negate any aliasing.

Robert

audiotony said:
By keeping the sampling rate of the scope at least twice as high as the measured frequency, you can pretty much negate any aliasing.
the old rule was sampling rate ~10times the required frequency for the digital scopes. ie. 500Msamples for a 50MHz digital scope.
But I'm told the software is much better now. But how do you find out before you buy?

Check the manufacturers website and see if there is a manual on their website you can download for the specific scope you want.
If you are lucky there will be a chart which gives you the real sampling rate of the scope for the chosen TIME/DIV setting chosen during measurements.
If not I you would have to ask the manufacturer.

Robert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.