Resistor on Signal Path before Volume Pot? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th August 2008, 02:56 AM   #1
kptseng is offline kptseng  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Default Resistor on Signal Path before Volume Pot?

Hi All,

While "servicing" the volume pot in my Onix OA21s, I found a 16R resistor in the input signal path just before the volume pot.

Does anyone know the function of this resistor, and if they can be taken out? Will be nice to keep the signal path as simple as possible.

Thanks.
Old 6th August 2008, 05:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
I have done some repairs on Onixs in the past, however never been around the Volume pot though....
What's coming right after the Volume pot ? The resistor properly just ensures a min. resistance if the pot is turned all clockwise.....
Old 6th August 2008, 09:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Such low value resistors are used in series for preventing parasitic oscillations.
Don't remove it.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 6th August 2008, 10:24 AM   #4
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

ACD's et Gmphadte's answers are right, but 16 Ohm is a very low value. Should be ten times that.
Old 6th August 2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Ground lift resistor perhaps. Would have too see it or see circuit to be sure.
Old 8th August 2008, 04:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok, now that I traced the tracks, thsi is how it goes.

Signal in from RCA -> selector switch -> resistor -> volume pot (10k) -> polorised elec cap (4.7uF) ->..........

Can you tell me what the resistor is for and if it is ok for me to bypass with copper leads?

Also the cap after the volume pot is just a cheap-looking Rubycon 100v 4.7uF polorised elec cap and the signal goes into the cap via +ve side then out from the -ve side.
What cap is recommended here? Maybe a MKP?

Thanks.
Old 8th August 2008, 05:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,
You would have to see it on the circuit to be sure. It must be there for a reason. Have you actually measured it -- 16 ohms is very low to include in the "Top" end of the volume control.
Old 9th August 2008, 09:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just took out the 2 resistors, each measures 13R (brown, black, black, gold).
Old 9th August 2008, 10:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi!
I saw this interesting topic and I think a little!
I don't have schematic but that resistor of 13 ohm the colors you hav mentioned say's that it is a 10 ohm resistor but 5% of tolerance is O.K.
As you said that path is:RCA connectors>10 ohm resistor>input selector switch>potentiometer"Volume control".
So all this told us that mentioned resistor is just to protect that input such as cd player or ..., because I guess that when this input is not selected, is selected other input perhaps tuner or... than signal from uselected input goes to the ground via that resistor.
So the purpose for this resistor is just to protect signal devices from short circuit because not all of them is short circuit protected inside!!!
And if you lik to bypass this resistors you must first insure is your signal device is short cut protected, the most of devices such cd players or...are short circuit protected.
About that Rybicon 4.7 microF cap is your choice, but I will tell you that all rybicon caps are good.
By the way also I would like to order RYBICON BLACK GATE or Elna Silmic or ceraphine caps but I don't know where to buy this caps, So if somebody knows where to buy for the lowest price I would appreciatte that .
I hope that now you clearly know purpose of the resistor, again without schematic is hard to saty but I hope that I am 90 per cent right.
Old 9th August 2008, 01:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,
I don't know. Would have to see circuit to see what they achieve. We are just guessing.

Hide this!Advertise here!