Amps for best synergy for PHL Manger / Raven - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2003, 05:59 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Thanks Robert,
I've seen the Jordan 92S + ESg2 thread a few times. The Jordan 92S is very appealing, but the PHL dynamics really appeals to me.

I've heard the AKSA it's very good, but I think I'll go a gainclone: cheaper I hope - going active I'll need a few, simpler, a little different, and compared by Peter Daniel to Alephs (!!) that Andre said make both ribbons and PHL sing.

I see on Andre's site that the Supra "Sword" cable is highly recommended (and highly priced!)
"has absolutely no inductance, great on Manger and ribbon systems".
"Bifilar wound litz inductance free cable."
Mmmmm, could that be DIYed????
Old 26th March 2003, 06:06 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
While it is true that both Aleph and Gainclone produce nice sound, I'm not sure how Gainclone manages low loads, like Raven at 2.5 ohm. I know that Aleph wouldn't have problem with that, but make sure that Gainclone is compatible in that regard as well.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th March 2003, 01:40 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default ESG "Impedance 8 ohm linear"

Peter
Was thinking of the ESG ribbons, for which Andre's orhis suppliers specs are "Impedance 8 ohm linear" I better check with Andre.

Cheers
Old 27th March 2003, 01:44 AM   #34
rljones is offline rljones  United States
diyAudio Member

they're closer to 6 ohms.
Old 27th March 2003, 01:54 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Default Driving low ohm loads?

For a sub, eg the Linkwitz Thor, Linkwitz says at
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/thor-design.htm

“Bridging two devices will double the voltage swing capability, but now has insufficient peak output current, unless two ICs are connected in parallel. Such parallel/bridged arrangement of ICs has to be carefully designed, to distribute the current drawn uniformly between the four devices”

Maybe the 7294 would be better?

ESG or Ravens aside, what kind of a load can the gainclones take? Are they stable to drive 4 or 2? ohm loads?
Old 27th March 2003, 02:00 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
4 ohms is fine, I didn't try 2 ohms, but since I also have Raven 2, sooner or later I will. But I believe it will be alright as well.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th March 2003, 02:21 AM   #37
rljones is offline rljones  United States
diyAudio Member

A load to a bridged amp appears to be 1/2 of its usual impedance to that amp. That is, The current demand is doubled. Therefore, for an 8 ohm load, a bridged amp will be putting out the same current as if the load had been 4 ohms when driven in single-ended fashion.

The LM series of power ICs can handle an 8 ohm load but are marginal for 4 ohm loads. Consequently, unless you parallel them, they won't handle very well a 4 ohm load when bridged. That is, they will sag and not double their power output. This is why Rowland parallels so many of them--4 pair as I recall.

The TDA729x are a bit better. I've put two 7293s in parallel (slave-master configeration; see their data sheet for details), and easily driven a 1.6 ohm load. So a two of these devices bridged can handle an 8 ohm speaker (again, like a 4 ohm load).

If you take a pair in parallel and then bridge them with another pair in parallel, they can drive a 4 ohm load all day long (which requires the current of a 2 ohm load).
Old 27th March 2003, 02:33 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Default ESg's impedance

The ESg2, as an exanple, is between 7.8 to 7.85ohm from 1khz to 20khz. Extremely linear. I can post a Clio graph if you are interested.

Andre
Old 29th March 2003, 07:06 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default impedance

Andre when time permits, could you put impedance graphs of all three on your site, and notify us here

TIA

Hide this!Advertise here!