Blind Listening Tests & Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than the topic.

For those who have been following this thread , you might notice that apart from the topic it is also giving us insights into the 'make up' of each of the people who are replying. It is quite illuminating. Impressions I had of various people - I can't see anyone - have turned out to be very different from what is seen now. Interesting. If you missed the informative background noise ,read through all the posts again !

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Indeed...

Hi,

It is quite illuminating. Impressions I had of various people - I can't see anyone - have turned out to be very different from what is seen now

You're not a shrink, are you? Eeeeek...
In case you are you could have a field day around here....let the fun begin.

To borrow from PM:

The Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose...

Hubba, hubba,;)

The appointment

Hi Frank,
Please come in. Now lie down on this couch and relax while I probe your mind. Give me a couple of minutes to get the hack saw and my gloves. It can tend to be a bit messy.
Any long 'last'ing wishes ?
All acquired information will be put up on a new thread on this forum.
Are we ready ?
Hold on, I need to steady my hands ......:drink: :drink:

Me a shrink ?? How much do you have in your wallet ??
:devilr:

Re: You call that blind test?!

carlosfm said:
Hi, am I missing something here?
Ha!:clown:
It's people like you that muck up the Hi-Fi business.
You're the type of salesman that today is selling hi-fi, and tomorrow is selling socks.:nod:

It would appear that you have missed the vast majority of the thread, or simply not been able to compehend it. Then you finish with a couple of childish insults ........ I'm in awe!

I am impressed that NW took the time to reply as he did. There have been some very relevant points made on both sides throughout the thread. Try reading it first, then please join the discussion at a credible level.

regards
mark

so...

nw_avphile,

I assumed tha you were demonstrating or trying to sell something to the Bryston man... :scratch:
Well...
Blind tests are made in a way that people know they are goind to listen a group of amps, for example.
They don't know what exactly they are going to hear.
The person that is commanding the group tests is the only one who knows, and calls the devices A, B, C...
People only know they are hearing amp A or B...
That's from where the "ABX comparator" device's name comes from.
Hi-Fi Choice used to do these goup tests.
As for the op-amps, I changed it on my amp, one day at nigh.
The next day I was hearing to a Ben Harper CD, and my wife (not an audiophile!) came into the room and asked me:
"What have you done? Have you bough something? It's playing much better".
Do you want a better blind test?:nod:
Believe me, she knows that CD very well.

Tube_Dude, portuguese brother, that happens...
I prefer the 2604 over the 2132 (I feel the 2132 has an overblown bass).
But you can try the OPA627 (with adapters).
You won't ever regret.
I changed the op-amps (AD176 for OPA627 - no need for adapters) on my Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 Dac, and I would never go back.
And my wife approved it again!:bigeyes:
You can also try LM6172, works very well with one-bit cd-players (or dacs).

P.S: nw_avphile: I can make blind tests with op-amps, I always put them with good machined sockets.:cool:

Very interesting thread...I'm not about to debate what someone else hears or may think they hear. Try this. Pick up a book on psychoacoustics. Some of what you find will suprise you.

Our hobby is filled with hype. The trick is (in my estimation) to be able to separate fact from fiction. And in our case that can be quite difficult. :headbash: About the only thing I'm sure of (for me anyway) is that if you are testing amps it would be wise to have a control amp. Take the second amp, make your mods and listen having your assistant switch (blind) between the two. I'm in the process of building two Seal Electronics Opti-Mos amps just for this purpose. The control amp (200W) will consist of "off the shelf parts". The test amp will have have various changes. I visited Randy Slone (Seal's owner) at his home for two days and discussed the different ways to alter the sound through component and bias adjustments. Amazing possibilites to say the least. I also spoke with Hugh Dean of Aspen Amplifiers on the same subject. He also had many ideas to "tailor" the overall sound.

This link will give you a small taste of psychoacoustics...
http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/ZAAPf/p/psychoacoustic.html

Enjoy!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: More than the topic.

Fantastic said:
For those who have been following this thread , you might notice that apart from the topic it is also giving us insights into the 'make up' of each of the people who are replying. It is quite illuminating. Impressions I had of various people - I can't see anyone - have turned out to be very different from what is seen now. Interesting. If you missed the informative background noise ,read through all the posts again !

Hi fantastic,....:)...you've got my attention here...what background vibes do reckon are emanating from yours truly?

My vibes?

Hi Mikek,
Everyone gives of vibes. As long as they are positive they should be fine. It is truly an achievement to be able to 'watch the way the world runs' and try not to compartmentalise the different external vibes we 'feel'. That we we are free to refine our own positive vibes and not be burdened by 'other peoples vibes'. But we can watch them from our own personal bay windows - to help refine our own vibes!
Cool eh ?;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Re: My vibes?

Fantastic said:
Hi Mikek,
Everyone gives of vibes. As long as they are positive they should be fine. It is truly an achievement to be able to 'watch the way the world runs' and try not to compartmentalise the different external vibes we 'feel'. That we we are free to refine our own positive vibes and not be burdened by 'other peoples vibes'. But we can watch them from our own personal bay windows - to help refine our own vibes!
Cool eh ?;)

Yes...and the answer is...?

Hi Mikek,
You missed the point. I should not be saying anything about your vibes because that would be categorising you. That would be wrong as it would have my own bias . I can only watch others and see how much I need to improve myself - see what the others are doing wrong and avoid doing it myself.
The world is a mirror of sorts. So what you throw out at it gets thrown back at you. Sometimes other things get thrown back at you - ignore that.
Aren't we digressing too much from this thread ? Of course it is about the 'tone of replies' that started this in the first place.
:rolleyes:

Re: so...

carlosfm said:
I assumed tha you were demonstrating or trying to sell something to the Bryston man...
He believed there were "huge audible differences" between mass market receivers and his multi thousand dollar 2 channel separates. I honestly didn't know how the Onkyo would stack up against the Bryston gear in a blind test but I knew it measured well. I also knew the Bryston gear measured very well, so I took the Onkyo receiver out of my bedroom sytem and took it to his place. It was more an experiment than anything else. I'd never done a blind test with anything quite so "low rent" before.

carlosfm said:
Blind tests are made in a way that people know they are goind to listen a group of amps, for example.
They don't know what exactly they are going to hear.
I agree that is done in some kinds of blind studies, but I've never seen, read, or heard of it being done with audio gear. If you check the references I listed in the previous post, you'll learn the listeners are always allowed to become familiar with how the gear sounds first in "sighted" tests--i.e. they know what A and B are and what they sound like. The "blind" part is in identifying "X'.

Drug studies are another example. They're considered double blind but the people participating still know they're either getting a drug to treat a particular condition, or they're getting a placebo--they just don't know which.

Unlike say wine tasting, where you're trying to rate multiple wines against each other (i.e. place them in order), with the sorts of blind studies we're talking about here, we're only trying to determine if a difference can be detected. If anything, it gives the listeners an advantage to know what A and B are as they're more likely to know what sorts of things to be listening for. Yet they still fail to often hear a difference where amplifiers are concerned.

carlosfm said:
As for the op-amps, I changed it on my amp, one day at nigh.
The next day I was hearing to a Ben Harper CD, and my wife (not an audiophile!) came into the room and asked me:
"What have you done? Have you bough something? It's playing much better". Do you want a better blind test?:nod:
Yeah I do. Wives say a great many things to humor their husbands (and visa versa)--especially if they know they've been tinkering around with something (and they usually do). It's part of being a couple. It's not a lot different than telling your wife "you look nice, did you change your hair?" when in reality her hair looks pretty much the same as always but she just finished getting ready to go out and you know she likes hearing that. Further, even if you ask a total stranger if something sounds better or worse, they have a 50% chance of telling you what you want to hear even if they're just guessing. So your wife's comment proves nothing.

Unlike say wine tasting, where you're trying to rate multiple wines against each other (i.e. place them in order), with the sorts of blind studies we're talking about here, we're only trying to determine if a difference can be detected.

Slightly OT, but that's not exactly correct. In analytical wine tasting, there are all sorts of methodologies (including something very much like ABX), depending on what you're trying to test. For example, the analytical tasting we ran yesterday was to determine if there was any difference between two brands of corks. No "ranking," just the simple question of "is A perceptively different than B?" (For you sensory research geeks, we use triangle tasting, multiple trial, forced-choice to answer these kinds of questions)

The difference in sociology is fascinating. When no difference was discerned, the tasters and winemakers didn't invoke goofy left-brain vs. right-brain hypotheses, nor did they complain that the test setting was unnatural, nor did they whine that the pressure of the test obscured their ability to distinguish the two wines. They merely said, "Hmph, if there's any difference, it's too small for us to perceive, so this is a variable we don't have to worry about."

Brad Kizer said:
Very interesting thread...I'm not about to debate what someone else hears or may think they hear. Try this. Pick up a book on psychoacoustics. Some of what you find will suprise you.

Our hobby is filled with hype. The trick is (in my estimation) to be able to separate fact from fiction.
I couldn't agree more! The best tools seem to be blind listening and the null difference test for amplifiers (and a few other areas where it can be applied). And it's not just hype, a lot of it is pure myth--stuff that gets spread by word of mouth and, because of the power of suggestion, others start "hearing" the same sorts of things so it become "true". I've been there.

Brad Kizer said:
About the only thing I'm sure of (for me anyway) is that if you are testing amps it would be wise to have a control amp. Take the second amp, make your mods and listen having your assistant switch (blind) between the two.
I've done exactly that, and near the beginning of this thread mentioned advising a friend to do the same. He had an Adcom power amp that he wasn't happy with and was building something better. I suggested he use the Adcom as his reference and then do blind tests against it as he tweaked his DIY amp. The only problem is he could never tell them apart when someone else was doing the switching! That's not to say they were identical, but for his ears, and in his system, the Adcom proved to sound every bit as good as the high-end amp he built.

For folks who like "euphonic distortion", I think the above technique is especially useful as it gives you a known (presumably more accurate) reference to compare changes to as you tweak your low NFB, single-ended, or otherwise inaccurate amplifier.

Please, if you would, let us know your blind listening results with your reference amp and various tweaks!

wives and hi-fi

nw,
I did that op-amp change one day, very late at night.
Nobody saw me doing it, everybody was sleeping.:rolleyes:
I believe she was sincere when she asked that, because she was really surprised.
More than that, I believe, and it's scientifically proved, that women can hear better than men.
And if it's a non-audiophine, non-"golden-ear" that asks you that, more confident you feel.
I was shure it was much better before she asked.
But even deaf people could hear the big difference it made to the sound (for the better).:devily:
Well, I don't want to discuss wives, I just meant it's a neutral oppinion.
Comparing crap op-amps with good ones is like comparing cheap AV receivers with Krells or Levinsons.
Not do speak Halcros.
Have you heard one?
I did. For hours. I could't stop.
It's very good.
And it's Australian.
It's soooo so good that even blinded I could tell if you changed the amp:nod: .

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Fantastic said:
Hi Mikek,
You missed the point. I should not be saying anything about your vibes because that would be categorising you. That would be wrong as it would have my own bias . I can only watch others and see how much I need to improve myself - see what the others are doing wrong and avoid doing it myself.
The world is a mirror of sorts. So what you throw out at it gets thrown back at you. Sometimes other things get thrown back at you - ignore that.
Aren't we digressing too much from this thread ? Of course it is about the 'tone of replies' that started this in the first place.
:rolleyes:

Ok..:)

Re: wives and hi-fi

carlosfm said:
But even deaf people could hear the big difference it made to the sound (for the better).:devily: ...

Comparing crap op-amps with good ones is like comparing cheap AV receivers with Krells or Levinsons.
When it comes to op-amps, 99.5% of the music people listen to has already passed through dozens of "crap op-amps"--at least if you consider $0.50 parts like the 5534 "crap." What difference can one more cheap op-amp make out of 30 or 50 of them in the signal path? You might want to read this post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=149367#post149367

carlosfm said:
Not do speak Halcros.
Have you heard one?
I did. For hours. I could't stop.
It's very good.
Where did you hear the Halcro? Were you lucky enough to have one in your own system? You might want to check out this post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=150481#post150481

Good attitude.

Hi Mikek,
Before I close this topic I should add that your attitude is healthy.
You must inquire about what others perceive about you either by asking or by observing how they respond to you. That way you could possibly bypass the'veil' of your own bias about yourself. That way you can understand what you really are - something very difficult to do and sometimes very difficult to accept !
Like they say - can you recognise the person you see in the mirror ? Not as simple as it looks.
A word of caution - always remember that getting an opinion is easy - getting a ( relatively ) unbiased honest one is tough.
:)

Many op-amps

nw, that story is old (many op-amps, mixing desks...), but doesn't get me.
If you have a disc that has very good sound, what difference does it make to know how many op-amps has the recording passed through?:bigeyes:

I heard the Halcros on a portuguese distributor, and it's still there on the big demo room.
I have a friend there and he called me (and also their best customers) right away when they received the Halcros.
We had all the time we wanted to hear it.
No, I can't afford to have them, I would have to sell my house:bawling: .

Hearing And Listening Skills.

nw_avphile said:
So your wife's comment proves nothing.
More of your consistent negativity.

I find women's hearing to be extremely discriminating, and if they like a sonics change they will say so, and if not they will say so too.
They typically have no concern about nursing egos when it comes to sounds in my experience.

Ever noticed that women can monitor several conversations at once in a crowded room ?.
Ever notice that most women do not expose their ears to machinery noise ?.

My GF is the director of a sixty place child care center, and she tells me that she can instantly identify the cry of any child in the center from her office.
Women are typically not clouded by brochure specifications or theory, and instead listen with their ears and not their knowledge.
Ever spent any time with a female violinist ?.
I have and find these peoples to have extremely fine sonics discrimination skills, and rather better than most men.

Mr nw_avphile, it seems that your hearing skills are not up to scratch.

Eric.

Sy:

>The difference in sociology is fascinating. When no difference was discerned, the tasters and winemakers didn't invoke goofy left-brain vs. right-brain hypotheses, nor did they complain that the test setting was unnatural, nor did they whine that the pressure of the test obscured their ability to distinguish the two wines. They merely said, "Hmph, if there's any difference, it's too small for us to perceive, so this is a variable we don't have to worry about."<

The big Japanese electronics manufacturers that I have worked with showed pretty similar attitudes when it came to listening, measuring, and deciding what went into their products or not. When you are a manufacturer, you want your own costs and PITA factors to be as small and painless as possible, regardless of where the final retail price may end up.

regards, jonathan carr

Status
Not open for further replies.