Blind Listening Tests & Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
mrfeedback said:
Hi Peter, I agree with pretty much all of what Mike VansEvers has to say - I went down that track a long time ago.

Eric.

I've been walking that path quite recently actually (about 2 years) but whatever I read there is much in line with my own findings and experimentation. Since I experienced it, I always keep an open mind and even if something seems hard to believe, I will never question or criticize, untill I try it myself.

I Find All Of It Interesting....

Since I experienced it, I always keep an open mind and even if something seems hard to believe, I will never question or criticize, untill I try it myself.
Yes, I have turned up many things that at the time seemed weird or 'impossible', but now are old hat to me.
Keeping an open mind also allows better hearing, and this whole process has led to the cables that I refer to.
There is much more going on than is explained by standard LCR theory.

Eric.

Re: Re: I Find All Of It Interesting....

Steve Eddy said:
And there is much much more going on still. Namely human physiology and psychology.
Finally! Something I can agree with. :bullseye:

On the other hand, what about the several tens of metres of wire *after* the power cord that the power tranny is wound from? Isn't that going to undo any effect of a 2 metre length of magic power cord? Or is that like the long length of woofer crossover choke wire not being able to undo the effect of miracle speaker cables? :dodgy:

Re: To Steve.

mrfeedback said:
You just can't let go of the psychology BS can you.

Yes, I can't let go of the psychology BS. Just like I can't let go of the germ theory BS, the sun-centric solar system BS. The spherical earth BS, etc.

See my above posts about no prior knowlege of usage of my cables.

Why? I don't recall saying anything about your cables.

Jeezus, talk about dogmatic beliefs.

Excuse me? How does keeping one's mind open to all possibilities constitute dogmatic beliefs?

se

Steve Eddy

Forgive the slightly off topic post but did you ever do a blind listening test of two comparatively identical preamps/amp with battery vs. mains supply? I ask this because your insight and suggestions may be very helpful in the "Fly me to the moon:6181/inverted gainclone" thread. I think I remember you being a proponent of battery supplies, am I mistaken?

Re: Re: Re: I Find All Of It Interesting....

Circlotron said:
On the other hand, what about the several tens of metres of wire *after* the power cord that the power tranny is wound from? Isn't that going to undo any effect of a 2 metre length of magic power cord? Or is that like the long length of woofer crossover choke wire not being able to undo the effect of miracle speaker cables? :dodgy:

Dunno. My only point was that those in denial of certain realities shouldn't speak of having open minds. Nor should they accuse others of having closed minds.

se

Re: Re: Re: I Find All Of It Interesting....

Circlotron said:

Finally! Something I can agree with. :bullseye:

Not neccessarily. Your wall outlet is your reference, and you can't do nothing about it. Anything you attach to it, will pose it's own sonic signature, you like it or not.

Some are less fortunate and have several tens of meters from power transformers, some others have transformer right across the street, with 10 meter of custom wire connected to it and custom wire in a wall.;) Again, you may like it or not.

nania said:
Forgive the slightly off topic post but did you ever do a blind listening test of two comparatively identical preamps/amp with battery vs. mains supply?

Nope. Haven't any interest in doing blind testing. I just go with whatever works for me at the subjective level.

I ask this because your insight and suggestions may be very helpful in the "Fly me to the moon:6181/inverted gainclone" thread. I think I remember you being a proponent of battery supplies, am I mistaken?

Batteries have worked well for me, yes. But that's just my subjective experience so take it for what it's worth.

se

Cables and cables...

There are many cable topologies, and no one is perfect.
As you may know, a perfect cable would have very low impedance, inductance and capacitance.
Unfortunately it's impossible to have the three at the same time.
If you have a low inductance cable, it will have high capacitance.
A given speaker cable may give excelent results with amplifier A a very poor with amp B.
That's why you really have to test the cables with your gear.
You can put the best speaker cables in your Naim amp an run into trouble.
That's why Naim sells speaker cables.
And they're nothing special.
But they give the best results with their amps.
DNM is the same story.
So, don't jump into conclusions by measuring.
One amp may react better to high capacitance, others may not.
The same for inductance.
As for mains cables, it's good to have a good shielding (it can't be bad).
As for differences, I think that in countries where you have 110 volt mains you may notice more differences than in Europe.
110 volts has double the current and your big amp won't like bellwire for mains.

put your hands where I can see them and step away from the paddles!

Nobody is spanking anybody today. A little thing called context is in order here.

You know I shouldn't give these guys any ideas, but, the next thing they'll be doing is seeding all the nervous audiophiles with the idea that cables degrade over time, and no matter how good they were when you bought them, if they've been used alot, at high volumes, they probably should be replaced. "just take a new pair home and compare them to your old ones, you'll be amazed"

Two things here, firstly I never said they did not degrade over time I said seeding them with the idea that they do. Like telling someone that skin effect changes the properties of the cable. At what frequency? Secondly I inferred wear[\i] of the cable, "used a lot at high volumes". Now unless you've got a lot of DC offset in your hi-end gear...

Brace yourself, I can come up with at least another dozen of reasons why cable can sound/interact differently other than the factors you seem to hold as important Chris...

Well Frank, it's not me, it's the whole physics community in general. L,C,R nothing else. Any effects (including skin effect and the likes) changes one of those three parameters. If it does not, then I'm afraid it cannot effect the sound, as it cannot effect the signal. I will state this once more for fun, if a difference can be heard, it can be measured, in an anechoic chamber, and at the speaker terminals. That's how we've gotten as far as we have in audio engineering.

Cheers,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.