Blind Listening Tests & Amplifiers - Page 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2003, 06:19 AM   #991
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schmad

Yeah, math and physics do tend to fall behind the times.

No, your experiences are not fact. They are just that, your experiences. How do you know how much better your hearing is than average?

Heh...you're killing me here. What big name dude and theory based on old out of data tests are you referring to, pray tell? I am keeping an open mind, I'd just ask you to do the same.
I have never mentioned anything about math and physics fall behind the times, however the correlation between numbers, graphs and what we CAN and DO hear surely does. Seems you have a problem understanding this... your loss not mine.

MY experience are fact as I have successful blind tests behind me to support what I hear and not hear, yet another thing you seems to have problem understanding.

My hearing was tested by a Doctor two years ago and I hear 10dB better than the average human, according to the Dr.

Some guys are refering to "big names" and tests, I donīt care much about them or their names since their testing methods are old or done in the wrong manner. producing "false" and useless results.

You donīt need to ask me to have an open mind as I do allready have that since waaay back. Therefore itīs really funny for me to see how thickheaded some guys at this board are, going on with their "blah blah" when they donīt have a clue about what they are talking about.

/Peter

Old 16th April 2003, 06:27 AM   #992
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: purplepeople wrote:

Quote:

Is this an audio amp? If so, I'd like to know which amp you were using that has a bandwidth of 1-4 MHz.
Patriot V100 4MHz, 800V/uS
Zapsolute 1MHz
DynamicPrecision 800kHz, greater than 250V/uS

Spectral 600V/uS, this one Iīve not heard though.

And yes, these are audio amps, I usually use audio amps when listening to audio/music Do you have a better solution/suggestion?

/Peter

Old 16th April 2003, 06:29 AM   #993
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan

My hearing was tested by a Doctor two years ago and I hear 10dB better than the average human, according to the Dr.

/Peter

.......At what frequency did the good Doctor indicate your hearing to be 'better than the average human being'?

.....And equally pertinently, what age of Human being did the good Doctor have in mind?

Old 16th April 2003, 06:33 AM   #994
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Doesn't bother me in the least. People are free to believe what they wish.

That's just it -- I'm not religious about the subject of audio. If it can't be backed up with science and math, it's not there as far as I'm concerned.

Would you have schools using textbooks claiming that the Earth is flat because some people believe it to be?
How stupid comments.

Before anyone managed to describe/proove with science and math that the earth was round and spinning around the sun, does that mean that the earth actually WAS flat and the sun was spinning around the earth ???

Neither life itself or magnetism can be described and explained by any scientist, does that mean we are not here??? Wake up please...

What many of us DO hear is actually there, soon we will have perfect methods to describe this in numbers and graphs, we are not fully there yet though as far as I understand.

/Peter

Old 16th April 2003, 06:40 AM   #995
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: purplepeople wrote:

Quote:
Originally posted by mikek

Helllllllllll......Nooooo......!!!! Please, i would love to examine this 4MHz bandwidth power amp.......i assume here that you refer to the half-power bandwidth as opposed to the unity-gain cross-over freq.???

...slew rate of 800V/uS...am i correct in assuming the amp. swings in excess of 6KV peak for this to be true, (i.e: 'audible')?
I think the numbers are -3dB full power bandwith up to 20k, Iīm not sure though. See my other post for "specīs" of some high resolution amps. If I remember correct Spectral has/had an amp with 5MHz BW.

The Patriot V100 has an slewrate of 800V/uS and is a 100W/8 ohm class A amp. I dont know where you get 6kV from.

/Peter

Old 16th April 2003, 06:44 AM   #996
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Peter old chap.....what 'old theory' are you soooooo elequently aluding to? surely you are going to tell us....OH maestro?
surely your ears are not the much vaunted 'modern standards' at issue here..
Dear apprentice,
any old theory that contradicts my and MANY others findings about audibility of low level distortion in audio gear...

/Peter

Old 16th April 2003, 06:55 AM   #997
diyAudio Member

Quote:

.......At what frequency did the good Doctor indicate your hearing to be 'better than the average human being'?

.....And equally pertinently, what age of Human being did the good Doctor have in mind?
It was one of those test where you put on canīs, sit in a silent room, and then listens to sinewaves at various frequencies. Donīt remember exactly the "BW" of the test but could it have been 100Hz - 5k or something like that? At 5 or so fr. points.

About age, I donīt remember but the Dr was sure "impressed" and surprised, not me though, I knew I had good hearing

/Peter

Old 16th April 2003, 11:44 AM   #998
diyAudio Member

Default Older Ears Can Be Better Than Younger Ears....

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan
About age, I donīt remember but the Dr was sure "impressed" and surprised, not me though, I knew I had good hearing

/Peter
Hi Peter,
With agieng, it is to be expected that your (our) hearing sensitivity and bandwidth degrades, however the ear/brain system is self learning, and according to aural experiences can actully become more discriminating.

The more of, and better systems that you get to experience, the bigger and better the database of 'captured' sounds you will accumulate, and become an even better judge of systems.
Also be aware that one's sonic preferences may change during this period also.

These factors are ones that our younger bretheren seem not to understand.

Eric.

Old 16th April 2003, 11:46 AM   #999
Banned

Talking Ah, the Halcros...

Sometime ago, I already said here, I listened to the Halcros (the amps and the preamp).
To me, they were playing very well, but the conditions were not optimal for the listening session.
Some people didn't interpret very well my words, because I never said it's the best.
But it has an impressive soundstage (large and deeep).
I would really like to hear to them in my room.
People (and the manufacturer) say they are the finest amp ever made.
I don't believe in that.
You had to listen to every amp in the world, and then you could say what's best.
As I don't believe specs are everything (they are just an initial indication), just by reading a paper I would not say it's the best.
It could have the best spects, just that.
But I would have to hear it, and all the others.
Of course, that's impossible.
So... the rest is marketing.

Old 16th April 2003, 11:53 AM   #1000
Banned

Talking where's the graph

Hey Peter,

Did the doctor print a graph?
Did he give it to you?
What's your frequency responce at +/- 3db?
And THD?
And S/N ratio?
Sensitivity?
Selectivity?
Channel separation?
Ahhhh... forget it, I'm just joking.

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!