Ksa 150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening friends!
I just write me in this great forum and would like a help if possible. I am born in electronics and I am with an amplifier Krell KSA 150 to repair. The problem is that I can not find the electric scheme. Some of friends have this plan and if so send me or made available in a site?

Thank's,

Antonio Carlos (Brazil - Rio de Janeiro)

I have but 2 large.

Is it like this one but with more pairs of output transistor?

I am interested in buying one, just want to know the design.

Thanks

Attachments

• ksa 100.jpg
    ksa 100.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 609
4 pairs of 250W devices not enough for you?

I am looking at the design. I am a DIY, BUT I am actually looking to buy at this moment. I am actually waiting to buy something like the Threshold S300 or similar amp. I have been waiting for a little while, so I am looking for other brand. There are a few Krell KSA on ebay and are about $2000. I want to see what's in the circuits that make them worth that kind of money.

The schematic of KSA100 I have seems very primitive. In fact, it is very similar with some much cheaper amps. It's just complementary IPS with resistor load, simple VAS(no cascode or darlington) and two EF output. If the KSA150 or 250 are like this but only with more pairs of output transistors, I want to know what make them worth that kind of money.

Compare to Threshold S300 or S500, Threshold has FET IPS, cascode VAS and EF driving CFP output stage. That crys "high end" and worth the money!!!

Even the cheaper Nakamichi PA-7A designed by Nelson Pass that is a whole lot cheaper has much sophisticated design very similar to Threshold S300 with 7 pairs of output transistors. And they are going for $800 only.

If KSA150/250 are like KSA100 with more pairs of output transistors, I am not going to pay over $2000 for a used one!!! I don't want to buy just for the name. I just don't see using say bigger transformer, more filter caps can make up for the primitive design.

Last edited:
Is this the KSA250 schematic?

There are 5-pages of schematics for the Krell KSA250. Opamps...opto-couplers...relays

If you decide to purchase a used Krell KSA250....Discussion Forums talk about 3 main versions, each with modest improvements/changes in circuits, bias, power supply, soft-start ckt. Try to buy Version 3.
SOME DIFFERENCES I REMEMBER are:
--Version 1 has the speaker binding posts oriented vertically
--Version 2 and 3 have the speaker binding posts oriented horizontally.
--Version 3 has a larger soft-start board which provides "staggered channel power-up"
--Version 3 has a new input circuit providing lower noise, and improved differential input functionality.
--Version 1 is output biased at ~ 120ma/device
--Version 2 is output biased at ~85ma/device
--Version 3 is output biased at ~100ma/device

Replacing major electrolitic capacitors costs ~$600

A modern $1000-in-parts 250W stereo DIY amp design will measure better than the KSA250, and if well constructed, operate for 20 years without needing repair. BUT it will not be a proven reference standard like the KSA250 which keeps its resale value.

There are 5-pages of schematics for the Krell KSA250. Opamps...opto-couplers...relays

If you decide to purchase a used Krell KSA250....Discussion Forums talk about 3 main versions, each with modest improvements/changes in circuits, bias, power supply, soft-start ckt. Try to buy Version 3.
SOME DIFFERENCES I REMEMBER are:
--Version 1 has the speaker binding posts oriented vertically
--Version 2 and 3 have the speaker binding posts oriented horizontally.
--Version 3 has a larger soft-start board which provides "staggered channel power-up"
--Version 3 has a new input circuit providing lower noise, and improved differential input functionality.
--Version 1 is output biased at ~ 120ma/device
--Version 2 is output biased at ~85ma/device
--Version 3 is output biased at ~100ma/device

Replacing major electrolitic capacitors costs ~$600

A modern $1000-in-parts 250W stereo DIY amp design will measure better than the KSA250, and if well constructed, operate for 20 years without needing repair. BUT it will not be a proven reference standard like the KSA250 which keeps its resale value.

Thanks for the detail reply. Can you give me the link of that thread that has the schematic. I have been searching up and down, I use "KSA 150 schematic site diyaudio.com" on google and searched up and down before I posted this thread. I read a lot of the threads and no schematic. They just assume people have the schematic.

I think at this level of quality, distortion measurement really don't tell the story anymore. there must be something about Krell that people are willing to pay so much money for one.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.