THX Ultra

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Is there a big difference (sound wise) between a power amp which is THX Ultra and a regular non THX amplifier.

I know that it is very expensive to get the THX mark so I wanted to know if they are much better.

The model I'm refering to are from the same manufacturer so regarless of the price of the amp is there major advantages in buying the THX Ultra one.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Eric

THX certification incorparates two things:
1) The amplifier has a certain amount of power, and the input and output levels are specified (so a swap-in amp performs equally)
2) There is a specific equaliser in the preamp, changing the tonal balance so the recorded equalising in the movies match a 'standard' living room instead of a theatre.

As allready said, it does not guarantee higher sound quality in terms of distortion, output impedance or the likes, but it does give you a more ideal tonal balance when watching movies - so it does something to the sound .

The equalising is only for movies and not for stereo, so provided that the two amplifiers are identical in output stage and power supply, the THX feature does nothing for your daily music listening.
(But maybe there are other differences - sounds strange if it is just the THX that is the difference)

....I must say that for movies THX equalising sounds great.:D

I see now that you wrote a "poweramp", and in that case the THX Certification is only fullfilling some standard data, something like minimum 110Watt RMS per channel in 6ohm, with a gain of 29dB from input to output.

There is no equalising in the power stage, so provided that the two amplifiers are identical - there will be no difference in sound quality whatsoever.

But again: check if that really is the only difference. If for instance the power supply is bigger (heavier) in one of them, this will then be preferable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.