THX Ultra - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2008, 02:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default THX Ultra

Hi,

Is there a big difference (sound wise) between a power amp which is THX Ultra and a regular non THX amplifier.

I know that it is very expensive to get the THX mark so I wanted to know if they are much better.

The model I'm refering to are from the same manufacturer so regarless of the price of the amp is there major advantages in buying the THX Ultra one.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Eric
Old 28th July 2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I would not read much into THX, it only guarantees loudness, not quality...
Old 28th July 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Nrik is offline Nrik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

THX certification incorparates two things:
1) The amplifier has a certain amount of power, and the input and output levels are specified (so a swap-in amp performs equally)
2) There is a specific equaliser in the preamp, changing the tonal balance so the recorded equalising in the movies match a 'standard' living room instead of a theatre.

As allready said, it does not guarantee higher sound quality in terms of distortion, output impedance or the likes, but it does give you a more ideal tonal balance when watching movies - so it does something to the sound .

The equalising is only for movies and not for stereo, so provided that the two amplifiers are identical in output stage and power supply, the THX feature does nothing for your daily music listening.
(But maybe there are other differences - sounds strange if it is just the THX that is the difference)

....I must say that for movies THX equalising sounds great.
Old 28th July 2008, 05:06 PM   #4
Nrik is offline Nrik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I see now that you wrote a "poweramp", and in that case the THX Certification is only fullfilling some standard data, something like minimum 110Watt RMS per channel in 6ohm, with a gain of 29dB from input to output.

There is no equalising in the power stage, so provided that the two amplifiers are identical - there will be no difference in sound quality whatsoever.

But again: check if that really is the only difference. If for instance the power supply is bigger (heavier) in one of them, this will then be preferable.
Old 28th July 2008, 09:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks to all for the much appreciated feedback

Regards,
Eric

Hide this!Advertise here!