Europower 1500/2500 or QSC GX3 for strong mid range?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking at 2 amps - Europower 1500/2500 or QSC GX3.

I have a pair of Klipsch floorstanders (F-1) that don't seem to have a strong mid range.

I want to buy a pro power amp and considering the 2 models.
Also a phonics 860/1500 is available.

Any suggestions which one would be stronger in the mid to upper range?

I'm looking at the pro power amps here in Uruguay because there is no choice of power amps in the home audio design.

Thks

The frequency response of the amps is going to be identical for practical purposes. A speaker frequency response issue isn't the amp's fault and changing the amp won't fix it. If the speakers aren't voiced the way you'd like then that's really where any upgrades should be. I know it's blasphemy, but you could use an equalizer to shape the response.

More watts is always better if the amps are of the same basic quality - especially if using EQ.

Equalizer?? Noooo....you've done it now. Lol

Well changing the speakers now is not an option..they are brand new.
I guess a good quality equalizer is not out of the question. First I see what they sound like with one of the new amps. The Europower 2500 has a lot of grunt but I heard the QSC are better quality. I've already had problems with a new Behringer V-Amp effects pedal for my guitar (using my Marshall for this, not the Klipsch!).

I'm getting the power amps for home music purposes.

Brit01 said:
The Europower 2500 has a lot of grunt but I heard the QSC are better quality.

I'm getting the power amps for home music purposes.

The Behringer amps are a slightly cheaper version of the old QSC RMX amps. So are the new GX series. Which is better? Not enough reports from the field yet, and I haven't tried the GX amps myself. I have two RMX2450's and an EP2500, as well as two whole racks of better amps for the big stuff. I won't run either one below 4 ohms.

For home music listening, I prefer the old school boat anchors. Light clipping on an old CS800, for example, is inaudible. When an EP2500 clips - even a little bit - you know it. If you're using one of these mid- or light weight pro amps for home listening, get the biggest one you can afford. So you can keep it out of clip at all times.

Ugly clipping behavior with low frequency overload. A result of the AC-coupled output, and the fact that the coupling/reservoir caps are just too darn small. When the bass clips, you get awful looking waveforms that are a lot worse then the flat-topping you get with a more conventional amplifier topology. To me, it sounds like flatulence, not just a gradual degradation in clarity. Conventional amps with *really* small reservior caps will do the same thing - cheap subwoofer plate amps being among the most notorious.

You're not really "supposed" to go hitting amps that hard, but in the olden days when 800 watts was all you could get it used to be done all the time. And the sound didn't degrade as rapidly when you did.

A lot of useful info here guys. thks

been back to the shops today. Narrowed the choice down to Europower A500, EP1500 or Phonics 1500.

I am using this amp in the living so the A500 appeals to me due to it's smaller size, RCA and convection cooling. I don't listen to music at great volumes. Just looking for the extra reserves and better soundstage.

But then the extra power and great reviews of the EP1500 sway me towards to fan cooled model!

Got to think over the weekend. (Tuesday they are giving 25% discount!!). Not sure.

QSC GX3 not available!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.