I'm wondering about power supply design and PSRR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The hum problem, a number of suggestions have been made but the CLC is probably the best way to go.

Only if you have sufficient space in your enclosure - or even better, have the inductor in a separate enclosure. It has a large magnetic field that cannot be fully shielded and will happily couple into the circuit. The hiss that was mentioned could be caused by it.

And if money is an objection, try a voltage regulator first.

Have fun, Hannes

Mike Gergen said:
IMO PSRR is under rated not over rated. Every time I've improved the PSRR by what ever means I could hear an improvement.

Because PSRR affects other aspects of the amplifier's performance besides how much hum you get. Power supply voltage changes under load - even during a cycle at low frequencies. And these changes are typically half-sinusiodal with superimposed 120Hz ripple. These changes result in distortion and IM products with the line frequency. They get worse as you drive it harder, even though any residual hum is long since masked. Better PSRR means less of this effect and cleaner sound.

Edit: And NONE of this shows up in a Spice model if you're using ideal voltage sources for the power supplies! There goes that predicted .0005% THD.

But even in an amp with good PSRR if your ground or feedback signal is contaminated, you're going to get audible hum. I had a big amp with a feedback line that was getting contaminated with hum - from the transformer in the amp above it in the rack. THAT one took a while to track down.

I thought you guys knew I was a dog? Sorry, I should made that clear, the hum is actually 60khz.

The amplifiers use are all Aussie Amps modules or BrianGT Chipamp modules. The CLC sysem uses two chassis with the inductors potted in metal cans. I don't believe there is a noise radiation problem, but I guess their could be, just seems pretty well isolated. The power umbilical is silver plated copper wire twisted and shielded.

how do you probe around with an oscilloscope to find the noise, maybe I'm not doing that right. I've tried before, but didn't really find myself getting anywhere.

While I wasn't trying to prove anything with these statements, just give my experiences, and my opinions as to whats going on. Trying to think through why changing to a CLC power supply would quiet things over a standard power supply, not being the result of ripple makes me thing this: You must be suggesting that if grounded and connected correctly supply ripple can be a non-issue, causing no hum at output. However, if not connected just so, then supply ripple will make it into the system, and since the supply has a more significant amount of ripple, can then be introduced as an audible artifact. However with a CLC supply, which doesn't have much ripple, even this poor wiring wont introduce audible ripple, since its so low in level. However, since ripple could be made inaudible just with the right wiring setup, your suggesting that the CLC isn't needed, and only adds weight, complexity, and cost. Is this a good assessment of what is being suggested?

I've only recently had the ability to measure distortion very accurately, but I have begun taking measurements trying to only change the power supply, to see what effect it has on the amplifier. While it seems to have an impact on the measurements I'm taking, many of the are probably arguably inaudible. The area I'm trying to spend the most time looking at, and understanding, is the area below 1 watt, where distortion begins to rise almost exponentially. The hard part is differentiating between actual distortion and just noise. Since we predominantly listen to just that first watt, seems to make sense that it should be the best it can be, but I'm starting to think its the first watt and the last watt that are hardest to get right.

Originally posted by pjpoes While I wasn't trying to prove anything with these statements, just give my experiences, and my opinions as to whats going on. Trying to think through why changing to a CLC power supply would quiet things over a standard power supply, not being the result of ripple makes me thing this: You must be suggesting that if grounded and connected correctly supply ripple can be a non-issue, causing no hum at output. However, if not connected just so, then supply ripple will make it into the system, and since the supply has a more significant amount of ripple, can then be introduced as an audible artifact. However with a CLC supply, which doesn't have much ripple, even this poor wiring wont introduce audible ripple, since its so low in level. However, since ripple could be made inaudible just with the right wiring setup, your suggesting that the CLC isn't needed, and only adds weight, complexity, and cost. Is this a good assessment of what is being suggested?

You don't seem to be able to take in anything that you are being told! Drop the presumptions, go back and read the posts carefully.

...Since we predominantly listen to just that first watt, seems to make sense that it should be the best it can be, but I'm starting to think its the first watt and the last watt that are hardest to get right.
Nonsense. Where on Earth did you get this idea from?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.