Hafler DH200 transformer specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a "salvaged" Hafler DH200 and I have searched but have not been able to get a reliable specification on the Transformer (this is not the international version).

From what I have read it appears to be a 40-0-40 of about 480 VA (or about 6 amps).

If so I am assuming this would give about +/- 55 or 56 volts on the rails.

Does anyone know if I am in right ball park?

My eventual goal is to see if this could be used in building a Leach 4.5 stereo amp.

Thanks!

djk said:
40-0-40 only gives ±57V, the DH200/220 are ±63V.

With a Leach type amplifier it will clip at about 300W/4R.

Thanks for the replies.

So it looks like my the transformer on the Hafler DH200 is 44-0-44
with voltage on the rails at +/- 63V.

The transformer that is suggested on the Leach website is 80V AC, (40-0-40) and having rail voltages of +/- 58V.

So I guess my question is how close is 58V to 63V? Is this difference okay with a proper choice of transistors? Or am I worrying too much?

As far as the overall power before clipping, I can live with 300W/4R since this is being used for a horn loaded driver.

I noticed when BrianGT built his Leach in a Hafler chassis, he used a new transformer (40-0-40).

Hi,
the Leach will work on 40Vac or 45Vac.
The bigger expense is that 63Vdc caps can only be used on transformers rated to <=41Vac and only if the mains has <=6% tolerance for overvoltage.

My 230:40+40Vac toroid gives +-58.2Vdc (total Iq=420mA) from 240Vac and gets 311W into 4ohms for the 3pair Jens' PCB design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.