What happen to thule audio? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2010, 01:18 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default A Visit In the Factory of Thule Audio in Herlev (in earlier days) cont II

continuation-II
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thule Audio autom. SMT pick and placer.jpg (143.4 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Bruno are listening.jpg (118.1 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio DAB Tuner PCBs.jpg (139.7 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Dennis and John.jpg (114.5 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Employer.jpg (126.5 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio good red wine for employers.jpg (106.3 KB, 121 views)
Old 12th February 2010, 01:23 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default A Visit In the Factory of Thule Audio in Herlev (in earlier days) cont III

continuation-III
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Interested members.jpg (125.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Listening and smiling.jpg (145.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Listening Room + DALI Mon.jpg (116.3 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio mounting station.jpg (152.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Testing Place.jpg (205.9 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Visitors listening.jpg (172.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg Thule Audio Visitors listening-II.jpg (161.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 18th March 2010, 08:14 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Help with an Thule Amp

Hi everybody!

My first post here. Hope someone can help me.

Well, I'm the owner of a Thule Audio IA350B integrated 5 channel amplifier.

I love it but it needs repair. I've been looking around but there is almost no information on the brand. As you all know, it went belly up a couple of years ago.

This is my situation. I am not a "DIYer" and have zero knowledge of electronics (hey, good start!!!)

I have an IA350B that is an original 120V model (US model) that I bought when living in New York. I liked it so much that I brought it back to Europe with me.

I have 2 500v toroidal transformers that I bought to change it to 230 AC. These are brand new bought from a Danish supplier andI had them shipped to Spain, where I live.

I tried replacing them myself. It seemed easy but I guess it wasn't so easy! The end result was NO POWER. As if the unit was dead.

I put back the original toroidals again and the unit work again.

I took the unit and new toroidals to a local repair shop. The technician was unable to do it either. He blamed the toroidals saying that they were dead.

I took the toroidals to another (better I think) repair shop. They are the official repair shop for Rotel, Classé and many others here in Barcelona.

The guy tells me the Toroidals are OK but he is unwilling to install them. He says he's been in plenty of situations where he couldn't fix units from companies that went broke and everybody looses; they loose and the client looses.

The people who sold me the toroidals in Denmark, HIGH END MUSIKSERVICE, do not want to do the installation for me. They say the same as my local rapair man. Too much trouble and likelihood that it won't work.

Now for the question:

Does anybody know someone who is willing to give it a chance? I'm willing to ship the unit anywere in Europe. I have nothing to loose at this point. It either goes to the garbage or I can fix it for a couple of hundred euros, which is ok by me considering it's a good amp.

Sorry for the long message. Hope there is a good "diyer" samaritan willing to help or point me towards the right direction.

PD: Nice forum you guys have! Too bad I don't understant half of it!
Old 25th March 2010, 04:38 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I guess this is not a very active thread...o well.
Old 25th March 2010, 05:15 PM   #25
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Pere,

Try posting a new thread asking for assistance. Might generate some interest.
Old 25th March 2010, 06:46 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thank you Cal. I'll try that.

Btw, you won't believe this but I'm from Spain, Barcelona to be exact and I'm married to a Canadian! Small world...
Old 26th March 2010, 04:51 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
To be honest I think don't think it will be possible to get the special Thule parts again.
Those who has bought the remaining parts from the late Thule doesn't seem to have interest in them......
So unless a former Thule employe starts up a business with these parts, they are lost forever.
Old 26th March 2010, 05:55 AM   #28
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pere Barcelo View Post
This is my situation. I am not a "DIYer" and have zero knowledge of electronics (hey, good start!!!)

I have 2 500v toroidal transformers that I bought to change it to 230 AC. These are brand new bought from a Danish supplier andI had them shipped to Spain, where I live.

I tried replacing them myself. It seemed easy but I guess it wasn't so easy! The end result was NO POWER. As if the unit was dead.
Sorry about your trouble with this.
Have you re-contacted the Danish supplier or whom ever crossed the specs for the transformers you bought?? The Danes may have somebody there that could assist you better or at least know somebody closer.
This was a mistake I think... who ever chooses to do the work should provide or at least specify the parts, otherwise there's no responsibility.
Old 26th March 2010, 07:39 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody,

Thanks Jan and Infinia for the responses!

Let me clarify a couple of points, maybe I was not very clear.

I do not need new parts (I believe). I already bought the toroidal replacements but when I substitute de old toroidals with the new ones (the ones that are specified in 230 AC), the unit does not work. It's dead, no power at all.

When I place the original toroidals back, everything works.

This is why I thought there was something wrong wiht the toroidals but the guy at the local repair shop in Spain who checked them, tells me he believes they are ok.

I don't know 100% if they are ok because I'm not a technitian and I wouldn't know how to check. All I know is that when installed, they do not work. My hypothesis is that something else (on top of the toroidals) needs to be changed in order for the unit to work in 230 AC....but I could be totally wrong.

The 230 AC tprpoidals are new, suposedly original replacement parts from the same supplier Thule used to buy the toroidals. They look the same to me and they have the exact same number of cables. I can post pictures of my unit and toroidals if you think this my be helpfull.

Finally, yes Infinia. I'm quite disapointed at the people who sold me the toroidals as now they take no responsability. Even though they were an official Thule repair shop and have been for a while after the company went broke, now they do not want to provide further assistance. They do not want to install them for me and, what is most amazing for me, they do no want to recommend anyone else to do it!!!! They say that theses Thule units are complex and that is a Loose-loose situation for the client and the repair shop.

O well, I think I'm going to try to install the original toroidals once more. Recheck that everything works with the originals, and try to reinstall the new once once more.

I do have the service manuals and I'll try to make sense of it but it's a difficult learning curve for someone who is not a Diyer or with a technical background.

Again, SORRY!!! for the long post and thanks for the ideas or help you may provide.

Cheers everybody!
Old 26th March 2010, 10:29 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I make repair service for thule audio components sice 7 years. This concerns only the two channel amps, not multi channel home cinema stuff like IA350 and PA350 (from this PA350B I have a lot of failured devices and I hate the most multichannel homecinema 5.1 equipment in general).

Actually - repair service is not really the right term for this, it will perform extensive modifications to increase the low reliability from original condition.
After performing all work right, all 2-ch amp models will run without problems.
However, all performed changings I must developed and tested in a laborious process arround the years. I do this for two different power and pre amp models, 4 different integrated models, the TU-100 and the dac boards for compact disc player.
This was in all cases also necessary for the multichannel models IA350 and PA350, but unfortunately I haven't done this until this day (if I have 50 pc faulty devices maybe I will start with this work).

One obvious problem for me at first look in an opened PA350 device directly goes into my eyes:
there are 5 channels but only 4 power supplies for the power amp stages (only 4 secundary windings on totoidals at whole - each transformer two windings)
This means that one power supply provides voltage for two channels (I claim without individual own test, that there are hum and buzzing effects must be present).
To try an normally easy repair task isn't helpful because there are a whole bunch of "Hot Spots" (thermal overheating on PCB) through fallacies by circuit design and thus design errors.
So I absolutely understand Barcelona's repair guy, who tell you, that he is unwilling to install new torodial transformers.

for service manual from PA350 check out this thread:
Thule Audio PR-250B Service Manual wanted

By the way - About the website
Durob Audio 1975-2009
or
PrimaLuna
I read follow:

"Durob Audio" (our parent company) has recently overtaken the well-known
audio brands Bow Technologies and Thule Audio from Dansk. But for me the question is, what exactly would be overtaken?

And I know, where the wanted "Thule Audio" software for the two channel "Spirit" line was developed:
Flextronics | Electronics Manufacturing Services | Corporate Backgrounder - About Us
I get this information from formerly employers.

But unfortunately I don't get reply from there.

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 26th March 2010 at 10:47 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!