What happen to Thule Audio?

i would very appreciate if anybody could give a hint why Q32 has almost double voltage on collector :confused:

Q32 & Q12 have been replaced, C9 as well. Transistors haven't been shorted anyway, C9 shows 101nf as well.
R5, R4, R80, R81, R88, R89 are all fine too (even desoldered them to check).

I'm really stuck, it looks very obvious and simple, but if you are not skilled enough or haven't had a dozen of repairs, it's appreciably more complicated. I have specified collector and base voltages, emitter was used as a ground. The voltage in brackets is shown for the 2nd fine (I hope) channel.

Attachments

• left2.png
    left2.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 863
  • protection.png
    protection.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 838
i would very appreciate if anybody could give a hint why Q32 has almost double voltage on collector :confused:

Q32 & Q12 have been replaced, C9 as well. Transistors haven't been shorted anyway, C9 shows 101nf as well.
R5, R4, R80, R81, R88, R89 are all fine too (even desoldered them to check).

I'm really stuck, it looks very obvious and simple, but if you are not skilled enough or haven't had a dozen of repairs, it's appreciably more complicated. I have specified collector and base voltages, emitter was used as a ground. The voltage in brackets is shown for the 2nd fine (I hope) channel.

Vbe multiplier stage Q2 (for idle current adjust only for the output buffer) is not conductive or the cascode VAS stage (Q24+34) is defective/faulty (Q34 collector 0V !!!).

Last edited:
for the benefit of other readers and members who are trying to repair these nasty piece of metal chassis (I have no other words for Thule amps) with one of the worst pcbs I've seen in hi-fi gear (it is only better than 30 year old Philips CD350 I owned), check the pre stage and in particular LM chip that is responsible for volume adjustment. Mine Spirit had the fault there. Replacing the LM chip fixed the problem.

Hello. Anybody knows how to repair it? On display there are strange dots instead info about tracks and it can't read CD. When I unplugg it for week it start working normally but after playing one or two CD it stops working again.
Look for any components on the power supply board that give the impression of getting warm in operation (voltage regulators in particular). These may have bad solder joints or may even have deteriorated. If you can find out who they sourced the innards from (anything on the PCB?), more information may be out there - I would not expect a relatively small company to build something as complex as a DVD player from scratch.

It would be very interesting for me to know, in what quantities was produced the "Spirit" devices in Herlev (individual for the balanced and unbalanced pre-, power- and integrated amps so as the compact disc players and the FM-Stereo tuner "TU-100").
This is still interesting to know. Most of this amp devices must be actually total or partly fault in the meantime.

for the benefit of other readers and members who are trying to repair these nasty piece of metal chassis (I have no other words for Thule amps) with one of the worst pcbs I've seen in hi-fi gear (it is only better than 30 year old Philips CD350 I owned), check the pre stage and in particular LM chip that is responsible for volume adjustment. Mine Spirit had the fault there. Replacing the LM chip fixed the problem.

Sadly have to agree with your adjective 'nasty'.
My advice is to bin the thing or rip out all the guts and build something different into the chassis. I'd recommend the Doug Self 'blameless' design.

Hum problem in

I have a Thule Spirit PA-100 basic amplifier with a hum problem. Lately there has been a hum problem in the right channel only. It has the problem with and without connections from a source. The hum only happens immediately after turn on and dwindles down to very low after two minutes. The source will play while the hum is present and afterwards. The hum level does not change with the volume of the source. The initial hum level has increased in volume after about 12 or more on-off cycles. I now don't connect my speaker until after 2 minutes after turning it on. Does anyone know what could be the problem and how to fix it?