What makes a good audio power transformer? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2003, 01:51 AM   #91
Banned

Default How did I miss this rock throwing contest????

Quote:
By the way how long is it since you last roll yourself a pair of tranies for your DIY project?
Probably the last time a professional transformer company completely ignored the specs I gave them.......i.e., the whole *******' desighn............, and I had to rebuild it to make it useable.

Is that what you wanted to know???

Jocko
Old 4th April 2003, 01:13 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Default Musically Tuned PSU's ?.

Hi Phred,
In the context of power regeneration, you have made mention of using a large power amp to drive a step-up transformer in order to generate mains voltage to power standard 110V equipment.
You also make mention that 60Hz is better than 50Hz because of refresh rate, and consequent ripple.
IYO, would it be beneficial to run this 'mains' frequency at a rate related to the pitch that the music is played in ?.

Eric.
Old 29th April 2003, 12:19 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nania
Well, its been a while with no activity so it seems that we are satisfied that the four original parameters mentioned in this thread are the only significant ones to consider when evaluating the potential effect on how it sounds. Of these primary four listed in numerical categories as:

1. core flux density (lower is better)

2. dc tolerance (higher is better)

3. quiescent current (lower is better or application specific)

4. wire thickness (thicker is better or application specific)

Of these four the least contraversial was the lower flux density. A list of ways we can achieve this lower core flux was submitted as letter enumerations on category 1. so that:

1a. core size (bigger is better)

1b. core material (better saturation curve)

1c. windings (more turns are better)

1d. transformers in series

If this list is complete, then we can go forward and make an analysis of the practicality and effectiveness of each method but before we do, we should discuss what sonic penalty we suffer with high core flux density and where we are likely to hear it. Is high core flux just muting dynamics or is some bandwidth limiting also happening?

Contributors are encouraged to put forward their experiences with problems caused by high core flux. Then we will compare which method would be best according to the flux problem observed.
Old 29th April 2003, 12:32 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Default Audio power xformer

In my experience, high flux density may cause problems with mechanical noises from the xformer. These can be quite audible during low-level passages.

So called "low noise" xformers are generally made by overrating the core. For instance, design a 300W xformer but use a core rated at 500W. I know at least one manufacturer of custom xformers (Burmeister in Germany) who does this and the results have been (for me) quite satisfying for a modest cost increase.

I have never experienced an effect on the audio signal itself related to flux (assuming the xformer has been mounted in a sensible position/orientation), so I would be interested in this. I always assumed that if this would be the case there was something seriously wrong with either the power supply design or the amp design.

Jan Didden
Old 29th April 2003, 02:27 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nania
janneman
Quote:
In my experience, high flux density may cause problems with mechanical noises from the xformer. These can be quite audible during low-level passages.
If we assume that flux saturation occurs only when the power delivery is stressed, then the power supply would not typically be stressed in low-level passages but perhaps it would in a class A design. Was your experience on a Class A amp circuit? Describe the noise as best you can. It's quite possible that the noise is also in the loud passages but masked.

Hide this!Advertise here!