Richard Allen - J E Sugden A51 Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Going through my bits and pieces, I came across the Richard Allan amplifier similar to the one depicted below - except this one is known as a Sugden Amplifier! Apparently, the Richard Allan Company built two amplifiers for Sugden before reverting back to Loudspeakers.

Would be interested if anyone has anything to add to this information, the amplifier is beautiful cosmetically but I have not fired it up yet. It was included in a package deal together with a Rotel rotel rc-807bx Pre-Amp, Wharfedale Super 12 RS/DD speakers, and a Denon DD turntable that I recently bought. The Wharfedales and Denon are already doing sterling service in another system, but I am thinking of connecting the system once more as it was originally bought.

-F_D

Attachments

• a51photo_resize.jpeg
    a51photo_resize.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 424
Damn, there seem to be a lot of those floating around in SA... I've just been given 3 and I know of a few more round here.

I'm busy rebuilding one of mine and if it sounds decent I'll do a second one. The circuit boards are terrible - the pads lift as soon as you touch them.

Circuit diagrams and parts lists are easily available on the net.

I also got a matching preamp and tuner with mine.

All the amps I've seen have a dodgy blue vinyl finsh and every single one is slightly diferent inside!

Geoff said:
I have a copy of the original A51 instruction leaflet (it includes the schematic and parts list) in pdf format. If interested, send me an email and I will copy it to you.

Geoff, thanks, I have sent you my email address to your email address as listed on the forum.

Thejohn ( ;) ), I read some of the reports I found on the internet. Seems to have been quite a respectful amplifier in its time. Mine uses 2N3055's, some of which have already been replaced. Might be a worthwhile move to upgrade these with something else?

-Eric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.