Naim (split from Blowtorch)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Simplifying it to "lower distorsion is better" might be a too simplisitc statement, since we can never get rid of distorsion entirely. I think it is nowadays a very common opinion on the forum, that the spectral distribution of harmonics is also very important, not just the level of distiorsion. Lower distiorsion but flatter distribution might thus be worse, than higher distorsion and a spectrum that quickly falls off towards the higher harmonics. Hence, I think the question posed to Hugh is too simplistic and deceiving.

Don't misinterpret this as a claim that high distorsion is good. The goal would be zero distorsion if possible, but in practice it seems most people agree that there is a tradeoff between lowering distorsion and getting a good distribution.

Christer said:
Simplifying it to "lower distorsion is better" might be a too simplisitc statement, since we can never get rid of distorsion entirely. I think it is nowadays a very common opinion on the forum, that the spectral distribution of harmonics is also very important, not just the level of distiorsion. Lower distiorsion but flatter distribution might thus be worse, than higher distorsion and a spectrum that quickly falls off towards the higher harmonics. Hence, I think the question posed to Hugh is too simplistic and deceiving.

Don't misinterpret this as a claim that high distorsion is good. The goal would be zero distorsion if possible, but in practice it seems most people agree that there is a tradeoff between lowering distorsion and getting a good distribution.

What do you classify as a good distribution of distortion products ?? Can you quantify the relative levels that would constitute a 'good' distribution ??

snoopy said:

What do you classify as a good distribution of distortion products ?? Can you quantify the relative levels that would constitute a 'good' distribution ??

No, I don't think we have enough knowledge yet. But suppose we have equally low but audible THD in two amps. Do you think it doesn't matter if this distorsion is dominated by the the 2nd harmonic or the 7th harmonic, for instance? While there seems to be a lot of agreement that the distribution matters, there is less agreement about which spectra are better and worse. It seems common to believe that higher harmonics should be lower in level than lower harmonics and that the spectrum should fall off towards higher harmonics. But then some harmonics might be more disturbing than others. We have the old odd vs. even discussion. Some claim that especially the 7th harmonic and some other higher ones are particularly disturbing. This is a matter that probably hasn't been investigated in any properly controlled listening tests.

Think about how different spectra music instruments have, for instance. Brass typically have a lot of high order harmonics. Maybe that is why some people don't like brass? Maybe that is why some types of distorsion are referred to as metallic-sounding?

Then of course, if the distorsion is low enough to be inaudible under all circumstances, then the spectrum hardly matters.

snoopy said:
Whilst subjectivity dominates the audio fraternity, audio will stay in the dark ages because people can't unanimously agree on what is supposed to be good :(

People are easily fooled especially those who think they can't be.

Since we are dealing with a 'system' for home reproduction and we are all trying to get a 'better' sound, using an amp that adds or subtracts anything from the input signal will make the job that much harder.

I was doing this for years with tubes and then realised I was just going around in circles. I have returned to the old, "a straight wire with gain" to describe the perfect amp.

When you first introduce this amp into your system you may not like the sound but it is not the amp's shortcomings you are hearing. Get to work on the rest of the system, esp the speakers and their position in your room.

When you are comparing two good quality amps in your system you are not listening to the music..................

fredex said:

People are easily fooled especially those who think they can't be.

Since we are dealing with a 'system' for home reproduction and we are all trying to get a 'better' sound, using an amp that adds or subtracts anything from the input signal will make the job that much harder.

I was doing this for years with tubes and then realised I was just going around in circles. I have returned to the old, "a straight wire with gain" to describe the perfect amp.

When you first introduce this amp into your system you may not like the sound but it is not the amp's shortcomings you are hearing. Get to work on the rest of the system, esp the speakers and their position in your room.

When you are comparing two good quality amps in your system you are not listening to the music..................

Yes, yes you are right on the money ;) Let's get rid of all of the trashy amplifier designs and throw them into the rubbish bin and then we can concentrate on what really makes a difference and that is the humble loudspeaker that we all take for granted :(

Well done for that comment ;)

B. Duncan vs D. Self

AKSA said:
Edmond,

Many thanks,

You're welcome.

Ben always was kinda Zen...... I wonder why he didn't keep his mouth shut, that was tactless.
Hugh

Hi Hugh et al,

Actually, I was amazed too. He also (dis)qualified DS's simulations by calling them "Agricultural Spice plots". Perhaps his (then) newly acquired MicroCap-IV made him a bit overconfident.

Cheers,
Edmond.

@snoopy ..

Why do people still prefer LP records to Cd ? new technology is always refreshing ,but does it not come with its own flaws ?

Having the biggest ..longest penis does not necessarily mean that the man is the best lover around .. making love is something more than the "measured" size .. so similar is an amp . You just dont go with the measurements .

I hope the mods excuse my post as a one off - for the obscenities /profanities .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.