Naim (split from Blowtorch)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fastdata said:
Meters say nothing,there is good distortion and bad dist... as
there is good cholesterol and bad

engineers unite for better sound by ear evaluation

I hate distortion meters aaaaaaaaaaaaah

AKSA rules!:D ;)

Whose ears do you propose to use as a reference and why do I have to put with poorly designed equipment based around someone else's subjective perception of what they think is good.

If they were willing to submit their equipment to properly conducted double blind listening tests where one of the comparisons was a real live music performance then I would agree that this sort of listening test had a lot of merit ;)

But of course you so called "audio gurus won't do this instead you like to insulate yourself from reality :(

I tend to agree, even if I have $50,000 (when it was new) worth of test equipment, I still can't measure everything that I want. I think that JCX on another thread has shown me a hidden source of higher order distortion in my test setup. His printout made my day! One thing that I have found important, higher order odd distortion will almost always make a hi fi sound 'metallic'. Real designers have known this for at least 70 years.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And for the 100th time can you please explain these finer points in the following format :-

Hey Snoopy,

No one here has to do anything just because you demand it. Please be a bit more civil. If they don't want to respond to your rather agressive and repetitive style, then move on. No point in repeating yourself as that just leads to more discussions of peoples private lives, which is off topic and makes this thread even more pointless..

:captain:

Variac said:

Hey Snoopy,

No one here has to do anything just because you demand it. Please be a bit more civil. If they don't want to respond to your rather agressive and repetitive style, then move on. No point in repeating yourself as that just leads to more discussions of peoples private lives, which is off topic and makes this thread even more pointless..

:captain:

Then don't make extraordinary claims in order to belittle others.

Private lives ?? What's that got to do with the price of fish on Mars ??

Variac said:
Exactly, they are so bored they are talking about nothing
You are being rather aggressive-perhaps the one belittling. That doesn't go over well around here..

I am genuinely not trying to belittle anyone except I do admit that I am a bit aggressive towards people who like to hide behind extraordinary claims with no valid explanation.

I just asked John to explain the claimed finer points in a circuit diagram. Surely that's not being aggressive. Why can't he do this so that everyone on this forum can benefit ??

What's the point of having a public debate if you can't ask someone to back up their claims with evidence ?? If people won't back up their claims then people with lesser knowledge can easily be mislead by bogus claims and you end up with a forum full of propaganda and mis truths. Surely that's not what you ?? Either something is or it isn't !!

It is not my job to teach you the fine points of Julian's circuits. I already pointed out the higher F(t) with good safe area power transistor that Julian found. It is true that the driver stage is almost exactly what Nelson Pass used for years, successfully, I might add. Julian apparently put effort into other areas as well, but I am not an expert of his amps, and have seen few REAL Naim schematics to see the fine points, and even if I pointed them out, you would not believe me.
This is because you are arguing from a prejudice, rather than from experience.

john curl said:
It is not my job to teach you the fine points of Julian's circuits. I already pointed out the higher F(t) with good safe area power transistor that Julian found. It is true that the driver stage is almost exactly what Nelson Pass used for years, successfully, I might add. Julian apparently put effort into other areas as well, but I am not an expert of his amps, and have seen few REAL Naim schematics to see the fine points, and even if I pointed them out, you would not believe me.
This is because you are arguing from a prejudice, rather than from experience.

Why don't you just say that there are no refinements apart from the obvious things you have mentioned previously instead of surrounding the whole design in an air of mystique and magic and in the process trying to mislead others on this forum !!

And which 'way' is that ?? Is it your way, the next door neighbours way ?? Which 'way' is it ??
Scary isn't it? The more people you have, the more opinions there are. Even scarier, their opinion may differ from yours or mine. Don't worry though, when I get to dominate the world there will only be one opinion and it will be the right one. Trouble is, I'm still trying to figure out what that opinion should be...

Back to your question. The answer is all of the above. I would even accept your opinion. You should be worried now. ';)

also posted by Snoopy
An amplifier is supposed to scale up the signal that is fed to it so that it can drive a suitable loudspeaker load in order to accurately reproduce the musical signal fed to it. It should do nothing more and nothing less !!!
Would you worry if I agreed with you? Trouble is, this statement doesn't advance the argument at all. It still leaves the question of how you decide that this goal has been achieved.

If I wished to design/build and amp, I would look at examples that met my design goals. If vanishing low harmonic distortion on simulation and physical measurement was my criteria, then I would examine Edmond's amplifier (please accept my apologies if I got yr design goal wrong, Edmond). If I fancied something designed with more subjective goals in mind then perhaps I would at Charles Hansen's work.

For the record, I have built many amplifiers over the years, and kept a small number. I consider every single one to be successful (nothing like judging yr own competition). Every one was different in terms of topology, amplifying technology etc. If I was to start building another one tomorrow, I fancy I might try Edmond's design as the output stage error correction idea is about the only thing i haven't tasted.

"suitable loudspeaker load" has been somewhat differently interpreted in the UK over the years.

I'm not entirely impartial about Mr Vereker because of his innovative efforts in yacht design, but the man deserves a little more credit than bashing him 10 years after his departure.
Naim is not my cup of tea either, but Julian Vereker did have the balls to pick his own approach instead of hopping along, as did the majority of the peculiar Brit designers.
Question is not if Naim was a marketing scam or grand circuitry in the past, but whether it had an influence on today's events.

VivaVee said:
Would you worry if I agreed with you? Trouble is, this statement doesn't advance the argument at all. It still leaves the question of how you decide that this goal has been achieved.

It's quite simple really. You just subtract an appropriately scaled down version of the output signal from the input and observe the residual. If there is any residual left then you still have some work to do ;)

low distortion

VivaVee said:
If vanishing low harmonic distortion on simulation and physical measurement was my criteria, then I would examine Edmond's amplifier (please accept my apologies if I got yr design goal wrong, Edmond).

Hi Alan.

Among other objective criteria, that is indeed one of my design goals. But please don't misunderstand me. Getting all those things right is only a first but necessary step towards a good amp.

Cheers,
Edmond.

snoopy said:

Why don't you just say that there are no refinements apart from the obvious things you have mentioned previously

He can't say that because, as he said, he doesn't know everything about the amp.

He's under no obligation to follow your faulty reasoning.

The rest is flumdiddle, bluster, hand waving, and something a bit worse than those things, incivility and an implication of deceptiveness:

instead of surrounding the whole design in an air of mystique and magic and in the process trying to mislead others on this forum !!

I've got no dog in this fight. Never owned a Naim. Don't know John Curl, never directly communicated with him.

Halcro

AKSA said:
OK pal, build an amp with sub-ppm distortion, field it into the markeplace amongst discerning audiophiles, and see how it sells.
[snip]
I don't believe your approach is necessarily admired amongst moderate, conservative engineers at all. If it were, everyone would be buying Halcros, which measure damn well.
[snip]
Hugh

Not everyone would buy a Bentley, so a Bentley isn't that good. :bigeyes:

Q.E.D.

Hi Edmond,

Much as I admire the rigor of your amplifier design, I think I agree with the Bentley comment.

However, it's an analogy, so flawed to begin with, and begs the question, why try to change other people's minds, when one always knows that education (particularly after the event) is extremely difficult?

Edmond, I have no wish to be dogmatic, to each his own, including Snoopy, but have a good read of Nelson's comments on distortion and see if you can find the flaws. If anyone could, it would be you.

Please remember, it's only one man's opinion either way, and it's really not that important anyone needs to be rude.

Hugh (presently designing a speaker protection circuit)

snoopy said:
No it didn't !!

Snoopy,

as an expert on Japanese audio gear, you know that the export of the pretty fT devices was prohibited for many years to protect the Nippon audio industry.
Secondly, you are also aware that Japanese fancy-pants output devices were already manufactured in the 1970s, not by Sanken but Fujitsu and NEC.
As an audiophile, you are in the clear that non-Japanese SS audio manufacturers beat the pants off Tokyo mades with 4MHz output stage power amps, even up to the 1990s.

The Japanese audio industry had the back-up of huge conglomerates, small mechanical hardware parts are acquired at the cheapest possible rates from small suppliers through inhuman strangulation contracts up to this very day.
The belly-up Japanese bank crisis has illustrated once again that financing has never been an issue for the industry on yonder side.
Japanese audio companies have had access to the creme of the crop of active parts; VFET and RET power devices, the most linear Vas transistors, both single and matched high Idss low noise JFETs.
The companies overthere had the means to manufacture one-off transformers, exotic capacitors, had ample access to specialty resistors.

All that, but to this very day the majority is still stuck in their Origami compulsive conditioning of having so strive for absolute technical perfection, and making the means more vital than the purpose.
Which is merely repeating the words of a few far more authorative ones than either you or me, one of which is still residing in Japan.
How's that for a quick snotter ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
snoopy said:

Whose ears do you propose to use as a reference and why do I have to put with poorly designed equipment based around someone else's subjective perception of what they think is good.

If they were willing to submit their equipment to properly conducted double blind listening tests where one of the comparisons was a real live music performance then I would agree that this sort of listening test had a lot of merit ;)

But of course you so called "audio gurus won't do this instead you like to insulate yourself from reality :(

Hey kid there just come a time where you stop listening
what meters tell you, and what is good sound,taste of a drink
,color contrast of a tv screen, people will like different things
meters say nothing, AKSA amplifiers are real good if not the best
Think good sound use your ears..

:D :D

FrankWW said:

He can't say that because, as he said, he doesn't know everything about the amp.

He's under no obligation to follow your faulty reasoning.

He made that claim before he stated he didn't know everything about the design. That means he shouldn't have made any other claims at all apart from the obvious ones which he knew about.

Where in the simple question I asked does the reasoning become faulty ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.