Crown DC300A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
aha

something i actually know a little about here lol.....

There were infact several vesions made over many decades!

best to describe by front panel type (starting with earliest)

mk1: A. very early chrome brushed front panel.
B. slightly later sandblast finnish.
C. as above but with IOC lights (input output comparator)

mk2: D. metalic grey / green amp turned upside down level knobs both on one side. (some had new mainboards)
E.as above with improved mainboards. (due to lack of main ic availability)
F. as above but with black front panel and further improved mainboard.

Really reliability depends on use age and especially botched repairs and abuse from user or poor engineer working inside unit.

In my experience go for C - F as above.......

Thanks for the replies people - very helpful indeed.

I've seen some of these amps come up for sale in various conditions and since I have a mark II that sounds fantastic, I'm considering getting another and wanted to see how they compare.

This is all part of a plan of mine to learn more about power amps, to teach myself how to diagnose and repair faults and build up a nice vintage hi-fi in the process. Big factor in choosing the 300A series was the fact that the service manuals are available.

I'll probably stick with my MkII for now and the other discussions on this forum have been really useful. No doubt I'll have more questions soon.

S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.