Stuck in standby, and other stories

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Apologies in advance of a rather long-winded request. I need help with a TEAC AG-5D that simply refuses to get out of "standby" mode, and my searches for TEAC AG-5D, standby, etc of the forums do not bring up anything relevant...

The unit clicks on, directly into standby, with the front panel display off. Pressing the standby button briefly powers up the display, which stays on for two, three, maybe five seconds before going off and the unit clicking right back to standby.

During the 2,3, 5 seconds the display is on, all (most?) front panel buttons operate as they would normally. Resetting to factory defaults doesnt seem to help much...

Is this something that I can attempt to resolve by poking around the insides of the unit with my DVM, and soldering iron, or is it serious enough to warrant an immediate dispatch back to the junk-pile? The unit appears rather dated (very few references on the web) and so far no site I have come accross lists the schematics for it.

I would appreciate any help with the unit, even just a pointer in the right direction, eg Relays, Caps, Trannys etc...

The TEAC is meant to replace a Kenwood KA-V7700 that insists on "thumping" increasingly loudly whenever any of the several click-stop selector switches on it are turned. The loudness of the thumps starts off gently and increases with time, to a level that threatens my speakers (Kenwood S-V33E). I then switch it off, let it stay off for a couple of minutes and briong it back on, and the cycle goes on...

The Kenwood had earlier replaced a nondescript Sony Karaoke Amp (AV-89S) that used to (still does!) emit an annoyingly long and loud "screech"upon being switched off.

My "pile" is growing, and currently also includes a Sony auto-reverse tape deck (TC-V902) that has yet to be made to work work, on account of having no power supply. It appears to have been part of a system which had both the power and I/O signals coming from the Amp via some proprietary SONY cable(s)

Help with any of the above is also sought, and will be similarly very much appreciated.

Agola

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.