running 4 ohm B&O s from 6-8 ohm marantz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
running 4 ohm B&O s from 6-8 ohm marantz

hi,

for the last year i have been using my PM50 to power my B&O beovox 3800s

the amp is rated at 8 to 16 ohms and the speakers are rated at 4 ohm

is it possible i might be damaging the amp or would i benefit from having a 4 ohm capable amp?

i have listened to it quite loud at times any i dont think there have been any problems yet but i really want to make the amp and speakers last for a few years to come.

the amp is 80w/ch RMS and the speakers are 50 watt (90 peak)

i know this isnt really diy at all but i was hoping you guys could help me out.

Thank you.

Don't know the Marantz personally but they're well respected and have been around for a while. I reckon they're up to a challenging load.

I wouldn't play them too loud but for moderate (normal) listening levels you're probably OK.

The amp won't be able to deliver enough current at high levels and will clip which could put excessive power into your tweeters. Watch (listen?) out for distortion.

Re: running 4 ohm B&O s from 6-8 ohm marantz

conor4 said:
hi,

for the last year i have been using my PM50 to power my B&O beovox 3800s

the amp is rated at 8 to 16 ohms and the speakers are rated at 4 ohm

is it possible i might be damaging the amp or would i benefit from having a 4 ohm capable amp?

i have listened to it quite loud at times any i dont think there have been any problems yet but i really want to make the amp and speakers last for a few years to come.

the amp is 80w/ch RMS and the speakers are 50 watt (90 peak)

i know this isnt really diy at all but i was hoping you guys could help me out.

Thank you.

You can run amps into very low ohm speakers so long as you dont turn them up too far.
I have used speakers down to 1 ohm with my MOSFET power amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.