A question about diamond buffers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2008, 07:39 PM   #1
darian is offline darian  France
diyAudio Member

Default A question about diamond buffers

Hello everyone,

Recently (since this morning actually) I got very interested in diamond buffers and found several schematics. I understand the principle for the Walt Jung version and some derived ones but not this one for which I post the schematic. I may be a dumb question but how is the second stage correctly polarised? To me it looks like a class B or even C stage... Probably I'm missing something in the design...
Attached Images
File Type: gif diamondbuf.gif (18.3 KB, 864 views)
Old 24th June 2008, 07:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Walt Jung design is limpid, with the emitter resistors on the first stage setting the second one in class A...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diamondwalt.jpg (27.3 KB, 802 views)
Old 24th June 2008, 07:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

And finally this one used in an Accuphase amplifier is very elegant with the first stage biasing the second one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accuphase.jpg (15.7 KB, 866 views)
Old 24th June 2008, 10:14 PM   #4
juma is offline juma  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Take a peek here:
http://www.diamondstar.de/dDB_design.html
Old 24th June 2008, 10:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your answer,

These ones have the emitter resistor for bias as it should. I just wondered about the scheme without them. I found it on a forum about headphones. They could be Sijosae design or something. I just wondered about the crossover distortion in a strict class B like that. It is better in class A.

And if the Vbe of the first stage is lower than the second, you get a nice class C one.

I may be wrong but I wanted a confirmation.

Anyone?
Old 24th June 2008, 10:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

And I wanted to share the Accuphase one which I find very interesting with the autobias acting like a faint NFB too.
Very elegant...
Old 24th June 2008, 11:17 PM   #7
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Darian,
You are right, the first schematics you show is wrong.
I would be curious of the results obtained with the Accuphase circuit.
Old 24th June 2008, 11:39 PM   #8
Banned

Darian

I read the circuit (1) like this: -

The circuit is symmetrical and collector voltages in the first stage will be equally offset from the supply rails when the Hfe of the transistors is equal.

Since the bases of the input transistors are at the same voltage (connected), the differential voltage between the collectors is Vbe(337) + Vbe(327). This is insufficient to bias the second stage into conduction, because of the voltage drop across the 2*4R7 emitter resistors and because the transistors used are identical to the ones in the first stage.

So this is a class B push-pull amplifier and will have pronounced crossover distortion.

w
Old 25th June 2008, 12:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your answer,

So I was right about it. I guess no one complained about it in the headphone forum (Headwize I think). There may be some people listening to that badly designed circuit and thinking it's a good one. Too bad for them...

Anyway, I have my answer. If someone wants to try the Accuphase circuit, I'd be pleased to hear some feedback. It's so smart and so simple at the same time.

Thanx
Old 25th June 2008, 08:10 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by wakibaki

The circuit is symmetrical and collector voltages in the first stage will be equally offset from the supply rails when the Hfe of the transistors is equal.

Since the bases of the input transistors are at the same voltage (connected), the differential voltage between the collectors is Vbe(337) + Vbe(327)
Sorry

I was about to go to bed when I wrote that. I went to sleep and woke up thinking about it.

In both instances this should read emitter, not collector.

This is 2 cross-coupled emitter followers, so voltage gain < 1. It's purely a current buffer.

Since the Vbe's of the stages are likely to be close, the xover is probably fairly smooth.

If you wanted to run it AB, you could do this:-

Click the image to open in full size.

w

Hide this!Advertise here!