Sugden a21a power amp repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a sugden power amp. It is loosing its left channel intermittantly once warmed up. For the first 2 mins its fine, then it starts loosing and regaining the left channel.

Anyone got any ideas of where to start? I checked the input wiring and joints - its fine.

i am not sure. ITs a black poweramp, with a horrible yellow 'neon' switch. a21a. Looks latte 80's. I checked the caps, they all seem fine (nothing dry etc). time to looks at joints. the sound distorts pre cutting out. could this potentially be bad output trannies, i know sugden bias the hell out of them.

adamus said:
i am not sure. ITs a black poweramp, with a horrible yellow 'neon' switch. a21a. Looks latte 80's. I checked the caps, they all seem fine (nothing dry etc). time to looks at joints. the sound distorts pre cutting out. could this potentially be bad output trannies, i know sugden bias the hell out of them.

Probably right at the front end.
If it was in the power section, something would have blown !!

Sounds like one of the supply rails in dropping out.

Andy

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Do you have a meter etc. You are going to have to take some measurements, possible comparing left/right. The output midpoint is as good a place as any to measure first as any power amp problem will probably show up here first.
Does it seem heat related, going duff after say 30 mins from cold.
Is the speaker output AC coupled on this one --- single rail supply.
When it goes faulty is it "tapable" if you poke the PCB with it on.
When it goes faulty does it stay that way until you switch off.

A21a single ended class A

Had this one sitting for a while waiting its turn... one channel was dropping out. Turned out to be a faulty bridge rectifier B80 C3200/2200; replaced it with B500 C7000/4000. Tricky / intermittent. The amp appears to be soldered & put together in a back-shed. Unbelievable...

Anyway, if there's a drop-out -> check bridge rectifiers as well.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.