Meridian 101 pre amp needs new power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi everyone

I am wondering if someone could help me interpret the following info:

I am using a meridian 101/103 setup for 30 years now and would like to upgrade the power amp.

The Meridian 101 pre output values are:
0dBm (775mV) for rated input (120mVrms at 1kHz) behind 600ohm.
Max output +20dBm
Tape output -20dBm behind 5hohm

As I can not interpret the given values, I would like your oppinion if this pre amp can be used with any of the followin power amps:
ROTEL RB 06
Audiolab 8000P
Rotel RB 870 BX

Best regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:
Hi everyone

I am wondering if someone could help me interpret the following info:

I am using a meridian 101/103 setup for 30 years now and would like to upgrade the power amp.

The Meridian 101 pre output values are:
0dBm (775mV) for rated input (120mVrms at 1kHz) behind 600ohm.
Max output +20dBm
Tape output -20dBm behind 5hohm

As I can not interpret the given values, I would like your oppinion if this pre amp can be used with any of the followin power amps:
ROTEL RB 06
Audiolab 8000P
Rotel RB 870 BX

Best regards

Ricardo

The usual input voltage to an amp is around a couple of volts peak to peak.

775mV might be a bit weak to be giving out the amps full output power.

Re: Re: Meridian 101 pre amp needs new power amp

nigelwright7557 said:

775mV might be a bit weak to be giving out the amps full output power.

And why would that be? The 775mV is RMS at 120mV input. At a standard CD level input the output will be sufficient to overdrive any power amp bar the F4.

So, to answer the original question - yes, the 101 will drive to full power practically all of the listed power amps. Whether any of them will be an upgrade for the 103 is a different question.

On second thought: there might be a chance of the preamp input getting overloaded with standard CD sources. This will depend upon topology. No problem if the volume pot is at input, otherwise a simple attenuator may be added to the cd input.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Hi Ricardo.

If it were me, I would service the power amp, replace all the electrolytics etc. That little amp may well surprise you.

However, if you do decide to change and want to sell the Meridian power amp, I might well be interested.

Hi Lee.

When can I expect your info about the psu caps ?

Did you repair your 103 yet ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Meridian 101 pre amp needs new power amp

analog_sa said:

So, to answer the original question - yes, the 101 will drive to full power practically all of the listed power amps. Whether any of them will be an upgrade for the 103 is a different question.

On second thought: there might be a chance of the preamp input getting overloaded with standard CD sources. This will depend upon topology. No problem if the volume pot is at input, otherwise a simple attenuator may be added to the cd input.

Hi

So I can expect no real improvement changing to one of the proposed amps ?

I would apreciate your comments because I did not hear any of the amps I quoted.

The CDP sounds a little too high but does not distort.
The sound is quite good in the Tuner "buffered" input.

Regards

Ricardo

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Your pre-amp...

1) raises 120mV to 775mV and hence has a gain of x 6.5 . (Note that 775mV is a standard reference level in the professional audio industry, and hence this is why the Meridian is specified reference this level).

2) has a maximum output of +20dBm which is (if I recall accurately) 7.75 V across 600 Ohms.

The Rotel RB 06 and Audiolab 8000P require about 1 V for full output, so you should have no problem with driving them from your pre-amp.

Both of these amps seem to work well at their price points.

Re: Re: Re: Meridian 101 pre amp needs new power amp

analog_sa said:

And why would that be? The 775mV is RMS at 120mV input. At a standard CD level input the output will be sufficient to overdrive any power amp bar the F4.

Most amps need at least a couple of volts to get the full specced output level. My CD player puts out about 3 volts peak to peak.
If he is just playing the amp in his living room then fine, but if like me he is performing discos then he would need the correct input volts to get the most out of his amplifier.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Meridian 101 pre amp needs new power amp

nigelwright7557 said:
Most amps need at least a couple of volts to get the full specced output level. My CD player puts out about 3 volts peak to peak......... he would need the correct input volts to get the most out of his amplifier.
The pre has a gain of +16dB (*6.5).
He doesn't need any more gain. Less would probably be better.
The 101 pre output is +10dB to +20dB more than almost any power amp needs for full power.
Has the 101 got trim pots on the inputs to balance levels between different voltage sources?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Meridian 101 pre amp needs new power amp

AndrewT said:
The pre has a gain of +16dB (*6.5).
He doesn't need any more gain. Less would probably be better.
The 101 pre output is +10dB to +20dB more than almost any power amp needs for full power.
Has the 101 got trim pots on the inputs to balance levels between different voltage sources?

Thank you all.

I was starting to believe these 101 where forgotten.

The 101 does not have any trim pots inside.

As I wrote before, I am not having any distortions or clipping problems but the CDP plays louder than the Tuner (... just 5 min on the pot).

My normal listening is done at 12 oclock pot position and I believe the sound could be better if I used less attenuation on the pot.

As I am using the Tuner input "buffered" for the CDP (the sound is so much better), a friend sugested I should raise R5 and R11 to 1k in order to lower the buffer signal output..... Did anyone try this before ? I am afraid to experiment too much and also afraid to loose the beautifull freq resp balance.

In the link below you can dowload the 101 schematics:

http://www.doebbe.com/hifi/items/meridian101.html

Best regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Gordy said:
Your pre-amp...

1) raises 120mV to 775mV and hence has a gain of x 6.5 . (Note that 775mV is a standard reference level in the professional audio industry, and hence this is why the Meridian is specified reference this level).

2) has a maximum output of +20dBm which is (if I recall accurately) 7.75 V across 600 Ohms.

The Rotel RB 06 and Audiolab 8000P require about 1 V for full output, so you should have no problem with driving them from your pre-amp.

Both of these amps seem to work well at their price points.
Thank you

This is exactly the kind of explanation I was looking for..!!!

AndrewT said:
Gordy is spot on.

All your alternatives are likely to reduce quality.

Get yourself another Meridian or refurbish the 103.

What about a pair of 105s?

I am waiting for a good friend´s help in order to proceed with the refurbishment.

My 101 does not seem to have balanced output. I believe the 105 was sold with the 101b (with balanced output).

I am not sure of this statement but would apreciate your comments.

Best regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
AndrewT said:
Gordy is spot on.

Ok Andrew

I am convinced I must refurbish the 103.

I am having a go at the PSU by replacing the stock caps (10.000uF) by some larger ones 22.000uF.

I will report the differences.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
AndrewT said:
Gordy is spot on.

Hi Andrew

Just replaced the PSU caps on my 103.

Used some 15000uF Mundorf... running in nicely.... begining to hear the differences... tighter bass... more bass extension... hope treble gets better in a few days.

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:
Just replaced the PSU caps on my 103.

Used some 15000uF Mundorf... running in nicely.... beginning to hear the differences... tighter bass... more bass extension...
Careful what you say on this Forum.
There are many well respected designers/builders here that repeatedly insist that the size of the smoothing caps cannot change the frequency response of an amplifier.
Don't want you getting sin binned, do we.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
AndrewT said:
Careful what you say on this Forum.
There are many well respected designers/builders here that repeatedly insist that the size of the smoothing caps cannot change the frequency response of an amplifier.
Don't want you getting sin binned, do we.

I Andrew

It was a very succesfull mod.
Next will be the caps of the 101 preamp.
I will need all the help I can get so I can not afford to get binned.

I did not say the freq response was altered... My first impression is tighter and more detailed bass.... for now.... I must wait a few days.

I believe good caps can give more speed and attack as well as lower compression to the sound.

Thank you for your reply ;)

Regards

Ricardo

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We don't sin bin people for disagreeing . We generally bin them for being disagreeable :) Attacking another member personally or making the same argument on a daily basis to harass another member can work also.

Andrew knows this so is just trying to scare you I suppose. He is entitled to his opinion of course

Now Ricardo we DID ask you to cut your siglines down to three line maximum, as that is the policy here.

Mark

Variac said:
We don't sin bin people for disagreeing . .................or making the same argument on a daily basis to harass another member can work also.

Andrew knows this so is just trying to scare you I suppose.
No, it was more to do with our opinion being at odds with the majority on this Forum. If we keep repeating that hypothesis, what could be the consequence?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.