Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2001, 11:40 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The ZAPsolute Mk4 is a kit form (or handbuilt ready to play) high end Pure Class A amplifier, configurable in 50, 78 or 118 Watts in 8 Ohms Class A. Capable of driving down to 1 Ohm with 6 times higher power. (Shown on picture).

The End Millennium, a 100 - 300 Watt Class A/B amplifier in kit form, with short circuit protection, DC servo, easy to build, but with sound quality comparable to the best available factory made amplifiers in the world. Built with high grade capacitors, high quality cabling and a huge power supply, with The End Millennium You'll have the amplifier to knock out Your freinds' 10 times higher priced factory built amps.

Like I say, I'd like to try an efficient class A design of the Millenium using the Nelson Pass patent.As to your remarks about the 'GAS the Nine', the Sumo Nine was designed by GAS founder James Bongiorno. And it did have differential inputs. And it also had horrible capacitors. Unbypassed polarized electrolytics in the signal path, ceramics everywhere, and no power supply bypassing. It's a wonder it sounded as good as it did. But I believe the topology was sound. I just picked up one to play with. I'm sure I will be able to make it sound vastly better with a little bit of effort. Have you seen the schematic on one of these? It's two single ended output stages bridged and driven differentially from a common diff pair. A Wiggins Circlotron.
Sorry for my fault on Millenium. Not looking closely at Millenium speces I assumed it was class A like ZAPsolute.
I shared room at Arken (the biggest audio fair in scandinavia) with Golden Age Music which at the time was distributor of LCaudio's products in Sweden. We had both Zapsolute and Millenium in our room.
Both where outperformed quite much by Spark top tubeamps.
I still say that Millenium is not very good.
Since Millenium is designed to accept both single-ended signal and balanced it is a perfect opportunity for you to find out by yourself that differential stages need to get a balanced signal in if you only use one side for output.
After you have tested that I suggest you change input stage to the one used in the early Zapsolute amplifiers which is much better sounding with single-ended output.

Yes, I have seen the schematic for The Nine, but can't comment on it since I sold it a long time ago.

Please don't think I dislike differential stages.
You seems to have hung up on that.

Good luck with your Millenium.
Janne
Old 26th November 2001, 11:42 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Correction

After you have tested that I suggest you change input stage to the one used in the early Zapsolute amplifiers which is much better sounding with single-ended INPUT.

Janne

Old 26th November 2001, 08:12 PM   #13
Dave is offline Dave  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hedlund,

Nearly all amplifier designs (A75, Aleph Series, Leach AMP) use a differential input stage (most likely driven by a single-ended input) with the output/driver stage been driven from only one phase of the differential amplifier's output. Do you think this topology is flawed?
Old 26th November 2001, 08:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Of course they are not. Some of them sound good, but I state than any of them will sound better if the input is balanced.
I have come to this result over and over again with my own constructions as well as commercial amplifiers using this type of input stage.
Mostly I go to the bottom with my constructions modifying countless of times until I get the best possible sound and when using single-ended input it always ends with a complementary single-ended input stage.

Janne

Old 27th November 2001, 07:04 AM   #15
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

To: Hedlund.

You mention the early versions of Zapsolute. Do you have the schematics of these versions and can you perhaps mail it to me. I own The End Millennium kit based amp at the moment and I'm also working on my own class A project.. I would be very interested in studing the evolution of the circuit compared to current ZAP and figure out why they decided to change this or that..

Rgds
Ergo
Old 27th November 2001, 07:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ergo,

Zapsolute started as a DIY project in the scandinavian HiFi magazine High Fidelity around 5 years ago, before the designer had started LC Audio.
Mail me your fax number so I can send copies of the articles.
If I remember right there was three or four of them.
Unfortunalty they are i swedish, but I will try to write a short explanation for you.

jan@hedlund.se

Janne

Hide this!Advertise here!