12V trigger problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI. I have what I hope will be a simple problem. I have an preamp with a 12V trigger output (outputs 12v @ max 100mA when the unit is "on", and 0V when the unit is in "standby"). I have an amplifier with trigger inputs, but it uses a scheme where, when the 1/8" mini plug trigger input is "open" or disconnected, the amp is on, and twhen the plug is shorted, the amp is in standby. I figured I could take a small relay and hook up the 1/8 mini to the amp on the Normally closed pins, so the amp is in standby when the relay is not in use. When 12V is applied to the coil, the contacts should open and the amp should turn on. Unfortunately, I can't get this scheme to work. The relay has a DCR of 610 ohms, so the current draw from the preamp would be only 20 mA or so, certainly less than the 100mA max rating. Yet I can hear and feel that the relay is not working. Any idea why this would not work? Is there a better way to do this? (I suppose anything that DOES work would be better...).
Thanks!

nyatt said:
HI. I have what I hope will be a simple problem. I have an preamp with a 12V trigger output (outputs 12v @ max 100mA when the unit is "on", and 0V when the unit is in "standby"). I have an amplifier with trigger inputs, but it uses a scheme where, when the 1/8" mini plug trigger input is "open" or disconnected, the amp is on, and twhen the plug is shorted, the amp is in standby. I figured I could take a small relay and hook up the 1/8 mini to the amp on the Normally closed pins, so the amp is in standby when the relay is not in use. When 12V is applied to the coil, the contacts should open and the amp should turn on. Unfortunately, I can't get this scheme to work. The relay has a DCR of 610 ohms, so the current draw from the preamp would be only 20 mA or so, certainly less than the 100mA max rating. Yet I can hear and feel that the relay is not working. Any idea why this would not work? Is there a better way to do this? (I suppose anything that DOES work would be better...).
Thanks!

Why not just drive a transistor in open collector mode ?
So long as you put a resistor in the front end of the transistor to reduce base volts to 0V7 it should be OK.
Not sure if you need an inversion stage or not.

nyatt said:
If you can show me what you mean, and what to use, I am happy to try. I can solder up a tube amp from a schematic, but (sadly), I do need instructions.
Thanks!

Attachments

• opencollector.jpg
    opencollector.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 264
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.