diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Generally buzzing is a bad thing, right? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/125108-generally-buzzing-bad-thing-right.html)

ChopperCharles 19th June 2008 04:09 PM

Generally buzzing is a bad thing, right?

I have an old solid state radio... I plug it in and I get a faint buzzing through the wooden case from the transformer area.... even with the radio OFF!!!

If I turn the radio on the buzzing stays, but the radio plays clear and perfect with no hum or distortion.

The whole buzzing when not turned on thing has me kinda freaked though... any idea what this could be?

Charles.

Netlist 19th June 2008 08:09 PM

Not with mains fully disconnected I may hope? :)

/Hugo

Netlist 19th June 2008 08:15 PM

Sorry, right. You said plugged in but turned off.
Strange, I would think of a standby transformer under power.
Does the unit have a St-by function?

/Hugo

nigelwright7557 19th June 2008 10:52 PM

Re: Generally buzzing is a bad thing, right?

Quote:

Originally posted by ChopperCharles
I have an old solid state radio... I plug it in and I get a faint buzzing through the wooden case from the transformer area.... even with the radio OFF!!!

If I turn the radio on the buzzing stays, but the radio plays clear and perfect with no hum or distortion.

The whole buzzing when not turned on thing has me kinda freaked though... any idea what this could be?

Charles.

It just sounds like the transformer laminations buzzing.

ionomolo 20th June 2008 02:48 PM

I agree. The transformer acts as a loudspeaker. It creates a magnetic field proportional to the ac voltage applied and the laminations or something arround the transformer moves pulled by that field.

ChopperCharles 20th June 2008 03:41 PM

So, not something to worry about then? Or something that will burn my house down if I leave it plugged in?

Charles.

Netlist 20th June 2008 05:35 PM

Still a mystery to me as if I understand it correctly, OFF is off which means the mains switch is open.
In a safe design, the mains switch is located before the transformer.

/Hugo

poynton 20th June 2008 05:36 PM

woodworm ??

PMA 20th June 2008 06:41 PM

TV set nearby?

Spiny 20th June 2008 08:14 PM

a lot of ss battery/mains radios had (and have - I have a CD combo with this) a single on off switch after the mains supply which switched the power. so as long as the radio was plugged in the transformer was powered.

the buzz is probably loose laminations, open the case and paint with varnish with a bit of luck this should stick the loose parts together.

I consider this to be a dangerous practice but it obviously passes safety standards as these things are still on sale, proberly considered like a wall wart in this regard :(