Generally buzzing is a bad thing, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old solid state radio... I plug it in and I get a faint buzzing through the wooden case from the transformer area.... even with the radio OFF!!!

If I turn the radio on the buzzing stays, but the radio plays clear and perfect with no hum or distortion.

The whole buzzing when not turned on thing has me kinda freaked though... any idea what this could be?

Charles.

ChopperCharles said:
I have an old solid state radio... I plug it in and I get a faint buzzing through the wooden case from the transformer area.... even with the radio OFF!!!

If I turn the radio on the buzzing stays, but the radio plays clear and perfect with no hum or distortion.

The whole buzzing when not turned on thing has me kinda freaked though... any idea what this could be?

Charles.

It just sounds like the transformer laminations buzzing.

a lot of ss battery/mains radios had (and have - I have a CD combo with this) a single on off switch after the mains supply which switched the power. so as long as the radio was plugged in the transformer was powered.

the buzz is probably loose laminations, open the case and paint with varnish with a bit of luck this should stick the loose parts together.

I consider this to be a dangerous practice but it obviously passes safety standards as these things are still on sale, proberly considered like a wall wart in this regard :(

I consider this to be a dangerous practice but it obviously passes safety standards as these things are still on sale, proberly considered like a wall wart in this regard

If you consult the instruction manual, it will probably say something to the effect of:
'Disconnect from power supply when not in use; do not leave unattended'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.