Onkyo TX-SV444 goes into protect mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I'm new to this and it is possible that this thread is in the wrong place.. I apologize if this is the case.

I have an Onkyo TX-SV444 surround reveiver and as soon as I power it up it just goes into protect mode after a few seconds and then shuts off..

This happens when there is nothing connected to the amp as well..

I have opened the unit up and there are no blown fuses and now I would like to know what to check next..

I have studied electrical engineering for four years but still have no clue as to what is the best point to start.. :rolleyes:

Please help enyone!

Thanks in advance

this is a recent DSP receiver. i don't currently have a service manual for this, but most modern receivers like this behave similarly, so here's a general idea of what's happening. the receiver is going into protect mode. the microprocessor is detecting one of the following conditions in the receiver:
a) amp overload, one or more output devices shorted
b) DC offset in one of the amp outputs
c) power supply fault. one of the power supply voltages is too high, too low, or missing. on some makes of receivers (Yamaha for instance) this fault can be caused by loose screws on the chassis rear panel.
d) thermal fault, usually only happens to a cold amp if the temperature sensor is bad.
e) the microprocessor is "confused". can be cured by a reset to factory default settings

sometimes one of the above faults can be wrongly interpreted by the processor when an internal cable is unplugged.

any specific information on further troubleshooting such as special key codes to bypass the protection for further troubleshooting, or factory default reset key codes, will be in the service manual. some makes have a key code to bring up a protection history, so you can tell which of the above conditions caused the shutdown (Yamaha for instance) and some do not (Denon and Sony for instance).

G'Day,
I have developed the same problem on my tx-sv444. Just wondering if there was a cure. I have tried to reset the system and it returns the Clear command and then goes into Protect mode. I have also tried to initiate the test function and it begins then goes into protect mode. I do not want to spend a heap of money to get the unit fixed by a registered repairer if there is a quick fix out there.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly apreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.