2sa970/2sc2240 sudden HFE DIP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I was working with an input stage using CFP method .

I found there is sudden drop in hfe, the gain is very minimal.

Then tried to touch some pins of the active and passive devices for any dry solder and for some pin there was sudden increase in gain.

I checked for dry solder which is just fine.

Then I tried to drill down what is causing the dip in gain found that when I touch collector pin or emmiter pin of any 2sa970 or 2sc2240 there was a dip in gain and it never come normal until retouch or short circuit Emiiter-collector pin.

Why is this happenning any Idea.

I am working on 34+ve 34-ve rails

regards,
Haseeb

haseeb said:
Hi All,

Then tried to touch some pins of the active and passive devices for any dry solder and for some pin there was sudden increase in gain.

Then I tried to drill down what is causing the dip in gain found that when I touch collector pin or emmiter pin of any 2sa970 or 2sc2240 there was a dip in gain and it never come normal until retouch or short circuit Emiiter-collector pin.

regards,
Haseeb

I had a similar problem on one of my amp builds.
The output would start at zero then slowly go to B- !
One of the input resistors had a dry joint.

haseeb said:
Hi All,

regards,
Haseeb
Looks like you are experiencing VHF or UHF oscillations: this is typical behaviour when a circuit is on the verge of oscillation. When the circuit oscillates, there is an apparent drop in DC/LF gain.
To ascertain this is the case, you can solder 1nF ceramic caps directly (short leads or no leads) across the base and emitter of each transistor.
This will quash any spurious oscillation and have little impact on the LF behaviour.
LV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.