power supply wire dressing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Almost done with my first power amp. AKSA 55W. I still have a little bit of soldering and chassis work to do before I fire it up.

My question is how should I treat my power supply wires? Should I shorten them? Should I twist them? Keep them separated?

The DC to the amplifer should be twisted or not?

Attachments

• aksa.jpg
    aksa.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 427
Nice project...

My question is how should I treat my power supply wires? Should I shorten them?

Yes...keep the wires short....but please not shorter!! ;)
Should I twist them?

Twist the wires to the power transformer primary...from the transformer secundary to the bridge rectifier and from the bridge to the power supply capacitors...

The DC to the amplifer should be twisted or not?

No...in this case not...

Regards

Re: Nice project...

Tube_Dude said:

(twist the DC wires going to the amp)

No...in this case not...

Regards

First, very clean amp, ultrachrome!

Jorge, I am curious about this as well. I would think you should twist wires whenever they are more than a couple of inches. I am curious as to when this would not be a good idea. In my bench power supply I twisted just about everything. I am hoping to start on my first amp, now that the bench PS is almost finished. It would be nice to know any reasons to or not to twist other wires.

Thanks!

Sandy.

The Twist

Hi

The reason for twisting a set of wires is to reduce the magnetic field created because og the current running i the wire.

Twistind pairs are also more imune to incomming magnetic fields, and therefor small signal wires in microphones are almost always twisted as well as balanced.

Using long wires is alvays a problem, and therefor I would recommend to twist both your DC and small signal wires.

\Jens

To twist or not twist...

Jorge, I am curious about this as well. I would think you should twist wires whenever they are more than a couple of inches
I am curious as to when this would not be a good idea.

When you conect de DC path from the power suplly capacitors to the active devices...if you twist them...you will increase the inductance...and oscilation could be the result...never forget that is in this capacitors that the output circuit close the loop that come from the loudspeaker...
I sugest to run this path with to wires side by side and near...for the loop betwen them to be small!
One terapy that is good for one desease ...could be fatal to another...

So in short. No unnecessarily long wires. Twist AC, untwist DC.

Do I need to keep my 24VAC apart from my 0VAC wires that are running to the ground point? (I'm using a 24-0-24 transformer) Do I twist the 24's together and twist the 0's together?

Or is a couple of inches to short of a distance to bother with the hassle?

If you are the sort of person who will want to make "improvements" at a later date, leave the wires long enough so that dis-assembly and re-assembly is convenient. I found that if I shorten the power leads to the minimum (which seemed like a good idea at the time), they were awkward to work with later when I wanted to do mod.

On the other hand, if you are disciplined enough to "not fix what ain't broke" and just enjoy the unit, by all means keep wires as short as you can so long as they are not under tension.

Thanks.

I pried the lid off my Adcom to take a look at its power supply wiring. The only wire twisting is the 117VAC coming from the back of the chassis up to the front power switch and even then the twist is about 1 turn / 3 cm. In fact, it appears the secondary wiring rubs against the DC coming out of the rectifier.

Attachments

• adcom_power_wiring.jpg
    adcom_power_wiring.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 270
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.