Inductive Germanium Class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I feel this area of solid state is not very popular so I've built something to try it out.

The concept is for a single ended, single stage, no-feedback, inductively coupled class A power amplifier. Inductive loading gives a welcome rise in efficiency above the theoretical 25% limit to a new theoretical 50% limit. In reality 35 - 40% is a reasonable limit.

The frequency response of such an amplifier is limited in the high end by the transistor and surrounding circuitry, while the low end is limited by the inductance of the inductor and surrounding circuitry to a lesser extent unless coupling capacitors are in use.

My prototype is a monoblock using Germanium transistors, just to put an interesting spin on things. I used the 2N2080 doorknob style transistor from Motorola. At a minimum 5kHz fT, this is a wonderfully slow transistor.

I've chosen a 64mH choke to give a rolloff of 20Hz on the bottom end for 8ohm drivers. The output is capacitively coupled to the speaker.

Shown is a schematic of the actual operating prototype. The 64mH inductor and 1000µF cap should give a LF rolloff near 20Hz at 12dB/oct (LC filter).

Impressions so far are that this sounds pretty good, as bad as it really looks.

Attachments

• inductamp.jpg
    inductamp.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 681
kenpeter said:

Sadly, IGBT's don't seem to get much attention either...

With enough feedback any device can sounds good. Now just grab some beer and watch all the mid life crisis fanbois and 'experts' get all worked up.

The absence of a P-type device pretty much eliminates the prospect of use in audio. Circuits that look symmetrical on paper on very much the fad. There probably are P-type devices, I just haven't seen one. When you're driving 5000HP pumps with VFD's efficiency is of the essence, and we don't care so much about symmetric looking circuits. It's fewer parts to stock too.

If I get an IGBT I will try it out in some single ended and perhaps also push pull amplifier circuits. (In the case of push-pull, it would be 'pulled' on by a different kind of device unless I find complementary devices).

Another thing: what about IGBTs in quasi complementary mode? Then a pair of the typical N stuff will be just right.

For single ended circuits like the one this thread proposes, the single IGBT is worth a try when I get my hands on one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.