Cambridge Audio 340A SE preout conversion and other mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for reading.

I would like to build up a pair of NAP140 clones so I need a pre amp.

The idea is to convert my CA 340SE integrated to a decent pre amp. This means first I need to find out where the pre amp section is and work out how to run a pair of preouts to a new set of phonos. The amp already has a 'Tape monitor' output but im not sure if this is a proper preout (ie. Balance, tone controls, volume still work on this output).

Secondly I'd need to upgrade some of the components to improve the sound quality so the amp will do justice to the NAP140's. Having seen inside I see a few NE5532 opamps. Cheap pots. and various cheap capacitors. I have limeted knowledge of amps but I can solder and I know that pots are worth upgrading particularly the volume pot. But also a balance control pot would improve things. (Im aware that stepped attenuators are the best soloution but I havent been able to find one that is motor controlled, I want to use the remote functions and input swithcing etc. This is why I decided not to build a pre amp from scratch.) opamps are another thing I can change for better quality items. Obvoiusly power supply caps are worth upgrading and voltage regs too. The input DC coupling caps are worth changing too.

The problem I have is that I cant see where the pre amp section is. And Ive never modded an amp before. You should also know that im not an electronics expert but I do have an aptitude for learnig. Im looking for advice on how to do the above and any other suggestions which apply.

Service manual includig schematics and component lists, and photos available. Just PM me your email address.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.