marantz 1060 issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2008, 06:32 AM   #1
pezza89 is offline pezza89  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pezza89 Send a message via MSN to pezza89 Send a message via Yahoo to pezza89
Default marantz 1060 issue

Hi everyone, today i got a marantz 1060 and unfortunately whenever i select the main or remote speaker switch theres a loud continuous hum in the right channel - does anyone know what the problem may be? i quickly turned off the amp fearing DC was sent to the speaker...hope someone out there may know what to do! cheers, Andy
Old 31st May 2008, 11:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 1060 uses a cap-coupled output, so it cannot send DC to the speakers. But it sounds like the output stage of the amp is stuck at a rail. Maybe a blown output transistor or driver?

Going to have to get in there with a meter and see what's going on...
Old 1st June 2008, 02:17 AM   #3
pezza89 is offline pezza89  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pezza89 Send a message via MSN to pezza89 Send a message via Yahoo to pezza89
Default marantz 1060

hi echowars, thanks for getting back to me... im new at this kind of stuff, i'll go out and buy a multimeter today and a soldering iron...i did a quick google search on the output transistor code and they seem hard to come by...are replacement/equilivants just as good?? i heard that its very important to have original marantz transistors to maintain the sound qualities?? talk soon!
Old 1st June 2008, 10:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No, it is not important to use a specific transistor for the output stage, and the originals have been discontinued for many years.

The amp uses all NPN devices on the output stage. If you find any bad ones, replace with On-Semi MJ21194G from a reputable supplier such as Farnell or Digikey, as there are lots of counterfeit devices out there.

If you find blown outputs, you'll have to work your way backwards from there to the drivers and check these devices too, as well as look for things such as burnt (open) resistors.

Hide this!Advertise here!