Help me with my JFET / BJT design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK... I tried to attach an image.. but its in emf? format.

Simply put... the pre-amp was simulated with 2N3819's and BC547's.

It has a cascode 2N3819 with a 560 ohm source resistor and a 10K drain resistor.

Running from a +36v supply... that places the upper 2N3819 drain at around 18v.

This is taken from this point into 3 paralleled BC547 emitter followers with a common 270 ohm resistor.

Output is taken from this point via a 1uf cap and a 10K load resistor.

Simulating the circuit... I get 0.0001% THD with 10v peak output at 1Khz.... but at 10Khz get 3.53% THD...

Why the huge difference?

Should I be running more current in the cascode?

btw... I need a voltage gain of 10.

Thanks!!!!

Simulations

Hi Richard

First of all it would help with a schmatic

The THD simulation is difficult, since it's based on samples, and a FFT (Fast fourier transform) The problem is problably the simulator and not your amp. :)

Also the THD needs a center freq to do the calculations. What program do you use?

My experience is that simulations are less than perfect regarding THD, but a nice tool to make sure all your DC levels are right.

\Jens

schematic?

I am using a SIMetrix demo software.

Ahh... I think I figured it out:

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 390
split supply

oh... well since the source of the FETS are about 1v above ground.

And btw I changed the drain resistor to 12K and the source to 680. Better symmetrical clipping...

I would have to go with a split supply to build a CCS for the source of the input FETS.

I could try a CCS on the output NPN....

The j fet is a depletion mode device so it self-bias but is limited as to how much voltage swing is allowed at the input. If you bias the input at a higher voltage, this will allow a wider voltage swing at the input before clipping.

Regards,
Jam

THD figures

Run a transient analysis... display the curve and select it. Its under the 'Measure' menu on that window.... select transient and select distortion full.

something like that anyway...

you can also do a FFT on it and see how the THD spectra looks like.

Simulated this circuit has a nice distortion progression.... dominated by 2nd until close to clipping then 3rd creeps in.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.