HELP! Rotel RA-1062 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2008, 03:25 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_1848.jpg (58.4 KB, 558 views)
Old 29th May 2008, 11:42 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Hi Michael,

My serial number is 980-4121048. Would appreciate if you can get me a service manual.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 30th May 2008, 12:52 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Service Manual RA-1062

I make your day man,

you can download the manual for five days at :

mmm_dod_sharefx_dod_com

good luck with the repair, it's a really nice device.

Michael
Old 30th May 2008, 10:21 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hi Michael,

Which date was it uploaded? I can't find it.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 30th May 2008, 10:40 PM   #25
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

One thing I would do is to disconnect the power supply, if it is possible... replace fuses and see if it can run witout anything connected... It would be a good time to measure some voltages.. a cheap multimeter will do... also google how to do a diode test on transistors...

Now for the part that will save you hours of head scratching, remove transistors one by one, do diode test, resolder if good, mark transistor as tested, do next one...
Old 30th May 2008, 11:16 PM   #26
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Contact Rotel Tech Support anywhere in the world by email with your model number and they will gladly send you a service manual in .PDF no charge!

They will even sell you whatever parts you can't find anywhere else!

They have excellent customer support!

Good luck!

Regards//Keith
Old 30th May 2008, 11:20 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi Kevin,

it was uploaded today 30.05.08, nevertheless, get it here:

www.eserviceinfo.bg
Old 31st May 2008, 07:30 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I removed all the transistors and did a diode test and found one 2sc3902 and one 2sd1047 blown. I'm still waiting for the parts to arrive.

I noticed there are three opamp in the machine, 2 opa2134pa and 1 opa2604ap. Will it work if I change them to LM4562 or will there be any sound difference? How about changing the capacitors to black gates? Or any suggestion on how to modify this amp?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 31st May 2008, 10:40 AM   #29
Account disabled at member's request

Hi Kchu

Good that you now know which transistors are blown, replace only those ones together with their complementary, that is if the transistors you purchased are complementary.

Big gains can be had from rotels in upgrading the preamp. Those ICS are what destroys the sound of these amps competing against some of the best here. I personaly have bypassed the preamp on my old 972 and and with a change of compensation this amp can kick a lot of *** compared to some very expensive gear and diy designs here, and at very low cost. But having a preamp is sometimes a practical thing, depends on how you wanna use the amp.
Let me get schematic then ill tell you a little more. But yes a change to better opamps will improve sound but youll have to spend quite a bit more to get better ICs. Those Ics are good mid to low hifi chips, ive heard good things about lm4562 maybe they are better and can be drop in replacements. Ive used ad826, ad 827 ad828 with very good results but these cost about 3 times more than the regular opamp.
What no blackgates, in your Amp?????, mine which is a 12 year old model only have blackgates, Maybe they only used them in certain critical positions like for decoupling inputs.

Im talking out of my head, let me download the schematics and have a look.

Alex
Old 1st June 2008, 03:40 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex,

What can be done to the pre-amp to improve sound quality instead of bypassing it.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hide this!Advertise here!