Phase Linear 200 Series 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IrishboyM4

I own a Phase linear 200 and a 200B. Mine are are not series 2. However on mine the output is operating in quasi complementary mode. Possible the series 2 changes to full complementary. However please check before changing the output transistors.

I updated the power supply and main amplifier capacitors on mine - these amplifiers are 25 years old!!! That made a big difference to the sound.

I would have thought that changing the capacitors would have made a bigger difference to the sound than changing output transistors. Electrolytic capacitors change a lot over 25 years and make the amplifier sound dull. If others with more knowledge know otherwise please chip in and let me know.

I would also think that if you have a quasi complementary amplifier ( as mine are ) then changing that to complementary should make a big difference to the sound.

Don

A PL200 just isn't THAT big an amplifier and shouldn't have any undue reliability problems. The 400's and 700's did. Mostly because the transistors were just not up to the task. The Fairchild version of the PL909 was at least useable in the PL400, but anything else made at the time liked to blow up. Any 400 that has had the o/p's replaced with MJ15024's or 2SD424's is about as bulletproof as cheap PA amps like the RMX850 (which is the same power, by the way) get. Many, many, many entry level PA amps with 3 pair of 15024's and +/-75 to 80V rails have been made over the years. Unfortunately, no real solution exists for the PL700. It's just too high a rail voltage. In that case the best you can do is the MJ2119x, and don't do anything stupid.

The 200 has an output relay, the 400/700 did not. Use MJ15024/25's or MJ2119X in the output and it will likely treat you good. Check power resistors on the board for proper value and replace any that have drifted.

If you intend to run it hard continuously you'll probably need a fan. PM me if you need a manual.

There is an upgrade kit on eBay for the 200 series II, and it completely changes the nature of the beast. The kit comes with parts to replace all of the semiconductors with modern parts, and it makes a HUGE difference.... especially if you spring for the optional op-amp upgrade. I have an unmodded, original, never serviced series II 200, as well as this one which has all the semiconductors, the op amp, and the output transistors replaced.... and it's really a night and day difference.

Charles.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.