how to make amp distortion meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Space,
Please please, get a 'scope (does not have to be fancy) and learn how to make your own PCBs.
There used to be a few designs for distortion meters, John Linsley Hood did one years ago, and I think Ian Hickman published one as well.
A 'scopes much much more use to you :) :)

you could make a distortion indicator using an op amp to compare the input and output of the amp. a differential amplifier circuit would compare the two waveforms, and if one of them is different (such as when the amp clips) the LED lights up. the xircuit is simple and only requires sampling the input and output of the power amp. the amp output needs to go through a voltage divider with a division ratio equal to the power amp gain.

space2000 said:
hi,

is there any amp distortion meter? like led type or analog panel meter type? just want to know can mswr the amp output distortion easily without osiloscope.

thank you.

I find a signal generator and a scope vital to amp design.

I use the scope to tune out cross over distortion without passing too much current through the output transistors.

You can also check the bandwidth of the amp too with sig genny and a scope.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.