Simply the Best - LiveWave AMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
re - balanced capacitors test

Hi, Stee

I did the test, regarding my amplifier (posted before). I put 2 capacitors 4700uF between the speaker (-) and the supply rails, on every channel (speaker (-) disconnected from GND, as in your schematics).
But after this sound wasn't as clear as before and a little bit of "air" from soudstage has dissapeared. Also there was present little hum (100hz), which I didn't heard until then.
Maybe is about this particular case, because in my amplifier there is already no nfb capacitor and putting capacitors makes signal path less "clean" than direct grounding.

Regards, Tibi

Re: SEE THE TEAM

Stee said:
in this drawing ca see the components of Free Run Mode AMP

may be compare with BD139/140 TIP31C/32C 2SA1215/C2922

do you have alternative for MPSA?

:smash:

You will not get the amp stable with those transistors. Also, the gain of the MPSA devices aren't enough. Try 2N5401/5551 or the 2SA970 and 2SC2240 for the input pair. Lastly, you might need to add emitter degeneration for the input pair so the dc operating point can stabilise at those voltages. This will impact distortion performance though. It is still best to stick to the specified transistors.

For the VAS you should use other transistors, like the 2SA1142 and 2SC2682.

You will still battle to stabilise it though, having to resort to Miller compensation on the VAS. Trust me, I've cloned that circuit too and this is what I've had to do...

I'm sorry, although it might be a very good circuit and so on, I feel like I saw it too much in my electronics books when I was young(many years ago heh) and even then i thought "noo , I'm not building that.."
hmm I remember a few amplifiers in the Oppermann catalog that I wanted to build then, hmm maybe I still have the old catalog somewhere. I think Im going to search a bit for it and look what I think of them now ;-) :-D hehe.. could be interresting..

Re: re - balanced capacitors test

fojica said:
Hi, Stee

I did the test, regarding my amplifier (posted before). I put 2 capacitors 4700uF between the speaker (-) and the supply rails, on every channel (speaker (-) disconnected from GND, as in your schematics).
But after this sound wasn't as clear as before and a little bit of "air" from soudstage has dissapeared. Also there was present little hum (100hz), which I didn't heard until then.
Maybe is about this particular case, because in my amplifier there is already no nfb capacitor and putting capacitors makes signal path less "clean" than direct grounding.

Regards, Tibi

strange
may be need a load to ground like 47R (to + out and ground)
for the air dissappared
may be need more capacity
or less power...
do you have short also NFB cap?

Re: Re: SEE THE TEAM

gbyleveldt said:

You will not get the amp stable with those transistors. Also, the gain of the MPSA devices aren't enough. Try 2N5401/5551 or the 2SA970 and 2SC2240 for the input pair. Lastly, you might need to add emitter degeneration for the input pair so the dc operating point can stabilise at those voltages. This will impact distortion performance though. It is still best to stick to the specified transistors.

For the VAS you should use other transistors, like the 2SA1142 and 2SC2682.

You will still battle to stabilise it though, having to resort to Miller compensation on the VAS. Trust me, I've cloned that circuit too and this is what I've had to do...

thanks a lot for your help gbyleveldt
now i'm searching to buy japan family

:cannotbe:

try the new idea it's easy

nikwal said:
I'm sorry, although it might be a very good circuit and so on, I feel like I saw it too much in my electronics books when I was young(many years ago heh) and even then i thought "noo , I'm not building that.."
hmm I remember a few amplifiers in the Oppermann catalog that I wanted to build then, hmm maybe I still have the old catalog somewhere. I think Im going to search a bit for it and look what I think of them now ;-) :-D hehe.. could be interresting..

really don't need capacitors on final stage

because if you have a good commercial amplifier (bipolar made)
you can measure the DC offset on a resistor load
when have shorted NFB capacitor...

is around 0.3V
stable

with medium speakers is safety too

and you can feel this new air near your room
for me it's a good news,
like connect a tube amplifier
without transformer (OTL)

Re: try the new idea it's easy

....like connect a tube amplifier
without transformer (OTL)

The transformer in a tube amp does more than just DC blocking. It is there to match the high impeadance of the tube output stage to the low inpeadance of the speaker. I'm sure tube amp designers would love to not have to use output iron.:cannotbe:

whoandcar said:
There was a time... many years ago, when Philips designed 600 ohm speaker to couple directly to single ended tube power stages (low power, such as TV and record players) and to get rid of the O/P transformer.
YES
my friend have buy two on ebay
also have founded two speakers 800 ohm

I heard them many times

very very good

because...
have capacitors on output!
it's true, I saw them inside.

Re: Re: try the new idea it's easy

CBS240 said:

The transformer in a tube amp does more than just DC blocking. It is there to match the high impeadance of the tube output stage to the low inpeadance of the speaker. I'm sure tube amp designers would love to not have to use output iron.:cannotbe:

Indeed, my thesis is that the tube sounds better
because it does not need adjustment automatic DC offset
valves play free with transformer

see the best buy 2008 (8ch)
ROTEL RMB 1048 modified

then connected in parallel and bridge (2 compl AMP for each rail)

Attachments

• 1048.jpg
    1048.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 459
Forget Capacitors on Output

I'm testing RB-976 from 10 days in bridge
without famous NFB capacitors

see picture (see also TDA balDAC)
one channel have 76mV other -40mV of DC gap

maximum have found double time (150mV)

:whazzat:
don't understand function of this orrible old design
may be in the past amplifier was very unbalanced?

try with your amp with a power resistor for load
... may be have no more then 350mV

:xeye:

Attachments

• dsc00049.jpg
    dsc00049.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 579
Re: Re: re - balanced capacitors test

Stee said:

strange
may be need a load to ground like 47R (to + out and ground)
for the air dissappared
may be need more capacity
or less power...
do you have short also NFB cap?

hi, Stee
some details...as i already said, in my schematic/amplifier is no nfb capacitor (see attachment on post 25).
i found this schematic on a russian site and i gave it a try because seems interesting at that time (and it is still the case, so far).
on the output, grounded (normal) mode, i have 2mV on R channel and 3.7mV on L, DC offset. i didn't try to adjust the offset on TL071s, these are "default" levels.
i will redo the test in the following days, putting 4x4700uF/channel and with 47R between out(+) and GND, as you suggested.

regards,
Tibi

Re: Re: Re: try the new idea it's easy

Stee said:

Indeed, my thesis is that the tube sounds better
because it does not need adjustment automatic DC offset
valves play free with transformer

see the best buy 2008 (8ch)
ROTEL RMB 1048 modified

then connected in parallel and bridge (2 compl AMP for each rail)

Stee, regarding the image you attached in the above post. Those caps are there in a shunt across the VAS for compensation. They are critical to stabilise the amp for those specific transistors. Using other transistors would force you to use other compensation mechanisms. Either way, you will have to compensate somehow, no matter what transistors you end up using. Think twice before removing any caps from an amplifier, you might just end up with burnt silicon and/or fired speakers.

:hot:

Searching definitive solution

I have a diagram on paper
T-90 AM Audio built not far from my house
when I have the scanner working ...

and also that resistor and capacitor are gone
compared to the classic pattern

I believe that another default by engineers !

of course I am prepared to risk a transistor
but not the speakers
use the output resistor/then capacitors to measure/prove

for sure

where you can better simplify:cool:

Attachments

• 1048.jpg
    1048.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 550
Re: again about op-amp driver

Stee said:
in your case R10 don't need
op-amp don't have to drive speaker
:cool:

hi, Stee
i guess maybe it's a bit tricky...but....this is not a traditional class AB amplifier, it's current dumping principle. that means existence of an alternative current bridge...and R10 is part of that bridge, composed by R10-C3-R11-L1. accuracy of the bridge has pretty big importance on amplifier response, so R10 can't go...this is my point of view after reading some documentation about Quad405 and current dumping principles.
please correct me if i'm wrong.
also the op-amp don't drive speaker directly (DC-mode), because there is C2 and JP1(jumper)...C2 is not really needed because original schematic had 741 as op-amp,and the 741 needed some correction...but for TL071 it's not the case. so, JP1 can be in "open" state and then is no direct connection between op-amp and speaker. in fact, JP1 is currently open in my case (his short/open state influence i found being null so far). if it useful somehow i can give the original link, where can be found original schematic and also some details about that one posted by me.

regards,
Tibi

where you can better simplify

this is the direction of my project ( now renamed EASYMAG )

again from T-90 schematic...

1 - Use only 3 size of transistors (Little Medium and Big)
2 - VAS is most critical, so better put a current stage
3 - Final stage is better double also for driver (in parallel)

now see this architecture

is becoming very interesting
... who wants to book a printed circuit board?

coming soon:bigeyes:

Attachments

• easymag.jpg
    easymag.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 533
imaging a complemetary/balanced

all togheter IN ONE BOARD

in drawing there is not final stage
with MJE340/350 (on 220 ohm) + BIG SANKEN (2 HOT + 2 COLD)

(THE COMPLEMENTARY OF BC546 IS BC556)

Vcc / Vdd ----> +45V/-45V

NFB IS 15KOHM FROM HOT OUTPUT

Attachments

• sank4400.jpg
    sank4400.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 454
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.