speaker question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2008, 03:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default speaker question

hi,

i need to know subwoofer can be use as loudspeaker? i have one speaker box each contain two 16ohms 8 inch woofer 120wats 160hms (its gets 8 ohms total), with mid and twtr. now i want to change them. my amp is 123w rms into 8 ohms. i saw add selling boschmann speaker it is 400w, do you think this woofer is suitable for my amp? looks too much wats need to power this speaker right?

thank you.
Old 11th May 2008, 04:18 AM   #2
gain is offline gain  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: speaker question

Quote:
Originally posted by space2000
my amp is 123w rms into 8 ohms. i saw add selling boschmann speaker it is 400w, do you think this woofer is suitable for my amp? looks too much wats need to power this speaker right?
the speaker must be able to handle AT LEAST the max power delivered by the amp. overrating a speaker is no cause for concern whatsoever. think of it like using a wire gauge bigger than what you actually need ... the wire will never be used to its full capacity, but there will be no overloads and hence, no saftey issues.

by all means, yes, you can use that 400w woofer in this application. now if you wanted to put a 400w amp to a 123w speaker, that would be a different story!!!

edit: isn't there a speaker forum here? if you post this there you will most likely get more replies.

Hide this!Advertise here!