128w 8ohms X 2 amp, sound nice, great amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi Buzzy,

"space2000 how does the precision I compare to symasym ?"

Be honest, bothe amp are great to me. thanks to both.

offcourse sound quality, love and sweet is dfrent. sysms bass is more deep but the trble and mid is not like DX, sweetness not really like pr-I. dx pr-I bass is deep too and the voice is sonic sweet and tble is much bter clearer then sysams. as far i concern, overall it has btr sound qulaity then sysasym.

*now i am changing my circuit completly. i just bought two huge sink wich is $25.80 each, it was from ship device, one uncle sold to me as he is selling ship and factory machine devices. here in singapore sink is not easy to get. also making new looks without long cables. will post pic wait for to complete.

thank you.
michael

afdf9fcec0582621c892e4eb0c7c09e3.gif

New looks for DX-pro I

hi,

here is i am trying for DX-pro to resconstruct. just made a circuit and the transistors are just placed to show how its looks...it' not final yet. i just want to know is this way should be working fine? or anythings should be change?

i need more comments pls.

thank you,
michael

newamp.jpg

DigitalJunkie said:
Wow,it looks like some of my first creations -except yours works!
Mine usually went up with a *PUFF*BANG*FLASH*SMOKE*:hot:

But thats when the real fun starts, learning to fix it !
If it worked first time it would be very boring.

I never connect the output transistors on a build at first.
I link the driver output back into the LTP and make sure the driver works OK. I then set the bias as low as possible so I dont fry the output transistors on first connection !!!!

Whoops, whats that smoke ?
Oh no 6 output transistors fried.......
Oh dear, now wheres my cheque book ?
Thank goodness for ebay and cheap IRFP240's and IRFP9240's !!

DigitalJunkie said:
Wow,it looks like some of my first creations -except yours works!
Mine usually went up with a *PUFF*BANG*FLASH*SMOKE*:hot:

But thats when the real fun starts, learning to fix it !
If it worked first time it would be very boring.

I never connect the output transistors on a build at first.
I link the driver output back into the LTP and make sure the driver works OK. I then set the bias as low as possible so I dont fry the output transistors on first connection !!!!

Whoops, whats that smoke ?
Oh no 6 output transistors fried.......
Oh dear, now wheres my cheque book ?

Hi Space,
Impressive and i salute your patience!:D Just wonder where you bought the vero boards? Can you let me know the name and place of the shop (believe you are in singapore) since i'm also planning to make my amp and havin difficulty looking for proper tool to make the job easier and cut the time shorter... all the best on your sonic searching!

B.rgds
:cheers:

hi mannycc,

yes, i am in Singapore. are you making for the first time? you can find at simlim, they are selling vro board. there are many shops are selling and cheap too.

parts you can buy from there but not all you can find. depends on part number.

anyway which amp are you intending to make?

if you need more info or any help you can write me to my email : mitoo_singapore@yahoo.com

note: i am not an electronics engineer, this is my hobby.

best regards
michael

Hi Space,

Thanks for the info and help (in advance - i sure need that!), I know that place! I found a simple class AB circuit diagram from one of the threads here and I thought of making a pair for stereo sound. It’s simple because it involves a few counts of parts and the amp seems to perform well sonically (hi-fi?) according to the views, and just curious to try. The main prob is that I don’t have much spare time so will try to do short cut on things if possible, you know the lifestyle here in Singapore!! :bawling:

just like you, I’m just a hobbyist and understand only a little bit of things. I previously built amps in the past and now beginning to dip my toes again (slowly). :clown:

b. regards,
mannycc

mannycc said:
Hi Space,

just like you, I’m just a hobbyist and understand only a little bit of things. I previously built amps in the past and now beginning to dip my toes again (slowly). :clown:

b. regards,
mannycc

Audio amps are very interesting and cover a huge range of electronic disciplines.
I have been in electronics 30+ years and still dont understand every in and out of amplifiers.

Its fun learning tho !

QTE
Audio amps are very interesting and cover a huge range of electronic disciplines.
I have been in electronics 30+ years and still dont understand every in and out of amplifiers.

Its fun learning tho !
UNQTE

We are on the same boat, it's one of those sentiments you feel challenged and glad to face! Let's move on! :nod:

Regards.

Sure Space! Just don’t remember the thread where I got this, I’ll post it here for everyone to see and would welcome the comments from the experts as well. To start with and because of the amps simplicity there are some ideas and possibilities I wish to explore;
1. The amp used series of opamp configured as current amplifier, my idea is to bypass and minimize the opamps to remove the distortion they may create.
2. The feedback opamp is configured as comparator (or maybe), so I will only know once I have a working amp.
3. The 1st opamp is designed for gain but instead can be substituted with active tone control or just design for preamp.
4. Lastly, the amp design is so simple and so I’m having a mixed thought because of this! The idea of less part means less distortion (or otherwise), but may also mean more unwanted unfiltered signal.

I really need to build this amp and proved my ideas wrong!:confused:

Regards.

Attachments

• 100w - class ab.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 203
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
Well it's different ! The bias for the outputs, I guess you are thinking of a fixed bias scheme but those four diodes need reversing by the way or it will just turn the outputs hard on and pop something. The 12 k resistors will just turn both output pairs on together. You don't need all those OpAmps either :) the middle two can be ommited, just feed the output from the first into the final OpAmp AC coupled if needs be together with a suitable resistor to the non inverting input and ground as a DC reference. What does the pot do :) and don't say volume. It will not reduce the gain below 1.

There's a problem here Mannyc

The output does not amplify voltage.... the amplification into those darlingtons you have (those two transistors up, the driver and the output one is connected darlington mode) 2 units up and 2 units down.... each one using it's own supply polarity, is unitary...the gain is one.... and something multiplied by one result itself..... so...there's no voltage gain.

Because of that, voltage must be created, generated, produced, amplified, into earlier stages...in special the one is called Voltage Amplifier Stage (VAS).

In this schematic, this work is realized by the last chip stage, the last operational amplifier stage.... so... the maximum voltage produced will be the voltage you can measure in this stage reduced by the losses into base to emitter junction of your output transistors...... but this stage is limited by his own supply.

Amplification is made with the "manipulation" of the supply voltage tracked by the input signal...seems the output signal will be the same shape, alike a copy, but with HIGHER voltage.

You see the problem...how to manipulate a very big voltage when you have plus 15 volts and minus 15 volts into this "VAS" operational circuit.... cannot produce more than 15 plus 15 volts...cannot produce more than 30 volts peak to peak.

Imagine this operational amplifier, this one is working like a VAS send 30 volts peak to peak of audio to the output.... the output will use this 30 volts to produce current...the current amplification will be huge...but voltage will still the same.... the difference will be power.... and this is the result of multiplication of voltage by current.... before the output you had 30 volts peak to peak without power.... if this op amp could support the effort (it cannot) you could install a speaker into this operational amplifier output (this one working as VAS, this last stage before the output) and it could produce some sound.... in reality will not produce something good...has only voltage, but has not power... when you plug a low impedance... a speaker that needs power... the resistance is low... those 30 volts will drop to almost zero volts..this means has no power...has not condition to keep 30 volts, to maintain 30 volts over so low impedance load....BUT.... after the ouput.... those 30 volts, reduced by the base to emitter junction losses will appear and able to face the low impedance load represented by the speaker.

There's no way to increase this 30 volts in this circuit you have shown to us dear Mannyc....you can install thousand stages earlier to produce more voltage and will not result good..only distortions will be created and enormous sensitivity.... every magnetic disturbance will be captured by your chain of amplifier stages, operational amplifier stages you install into your power amplifier left side... the earlier stages of amplification, the ones must produce swing of voltage..... the limiting factor will be the supply voltage you have into your VAS, in this case this last operational amplifier connected to the output....

You can install high voltage into the output...you can put 100 volts, 200 volts....300 volts...but no way to have more than 30 volts peak to peak (reduced by losses, of course)

I hope i could help you to understand those things... wonderfull things into amplifier operation.... i love those things deeply.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• problem here is....gif
    problem here is....gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 258
Hi Mooly,
Thanks for the thought, it seems to be that I may have no choice but to go for a more complicated but working amp circuits even if I don’t feel like giving up so easily. I still have this nagging feeling though that amp with less part can offer less distortion once properly biased, although hi-end (expensive) amps show otherwise.:(

Regards

Hi Carlos,
Just the though of how those small combined parts give me a thrill and I don’t know why, it’s the beauty I cant explain to my wife who does not understand as well :D. Those parts so few may not cost much but the precious time could be saved if spent on something else and not on an amp that’s not working.

As i recall from electronic class you just describe how the emitter follower circuit behaves and one of the most common use of that circuit is for power supply voltage regulator (pls correct me if I’m wrong) however it will require reference voltage at the b-c junction. Just a thought, could the output tranny 2SC3281 be driven by BD139 voltage swing which happened to be the supply rails?

Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.