DC protection Velleman K4701

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am rebuilding a DIY amp I built many years ago using Elliot P3a power amps.

I realise I need DC protection for the speakers and obviously Rod's P33 project would be a good choice. Problem is no room in the case.

All I need is the DC protection not the soft start or muting. Came across the Velleman K4701 kit that fits in the speaker cabinet and disconnects the amp when DC is present.

It needs no auxillary supply so must get its power from the speaker line - and here is the question. Will it affect sound quality because of this? Anyone any experience of it?

It gets its power supply from the amplifiers power supply. I'm sure there would have to be load dropping resistors from the main supply in order to power this unit. Not the best Velleman kit to choose in my opinion. Velleman has another one with its own 6 volt supply on board and it is a much better piece.

There are those here that will argue that they hear a difference between a signal going thru a relay as opposed to going straight to the speaker. I do not hear any such difference.

While your system is much more primitave than other more expensive sounding systems there is still a need to try to guard against any damage that might rear its ugly head.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think it probably uses any DC offset present to power the relay.
Don't you just connect it in series with the speaker. It should have no audible effect in practice, and although it's not the ideal way it has to be better than nothing.
Regards Karl

The same job can be done with a very basic PIC micro and a relay and a few other components.

I use a PIC12C508, its only 8 pins but it does the job very well.

Mine holds off the realy on power up for 3 seconds.
If the DC level stays above 20 volts or below -20 volts for 500ms it imediately drops the relay.

I use the PIC inputs as comparators using voltage dividers.
I know fro mexperience the threshold for a PIC (5V VCC) input
is 2 volts.

If you want the circuit and software let me know.

Nigel

Thanks for the input guys

I will certainly give this more thought. The 4700 kit with mods may be a better alternative but I will need another box to put it in.

I suppose if the amp has a serious fault it will give full supply rail voltage to the speakers (35V) and even the 4701 kit would prevent this.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
burnedfingers said:

I don't think so... It would take a heap of DC offset to power the relay.

Go with the 4700 and make the modifications.
Hi, had a look on the Velleman web site, No extra PSU needed, uses the DC offset to operate the relay, that's why I said it was less than ideal, but there you go. I don't know what minimum voltage is needed to trip it :)
Regards Karl

Go with the 4700 and make the modifications.
Hi, had a look on the Velleman web site, No extra PSU needed, uses the DC offset to operate the relay, that's why I said it was less than ideal, but there you go. I don't know what minimum voltage is needed to trip it
Regards Karl

Well Karl I guess your are right.

I would steer clear of this one at all costs. Like I said earlier....
go with the 4700 because it works. I've used them before and they work quite well. Anything that has to depend on the DC offset to power the relay is a bunch of crap in my opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.